Gen Jackson: The Defence of the Realm in C21 On TV Tonight

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Dec 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Tonight on BBC 1 at 11.20 General Mike Jackson will be presenting his lecture on 'The Defence of the Realm in the 21 Century' It is being filmed tonight at London Scottish RHQ.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it because I'm in BFBSland and it would not do to show something interesting like this when its well known that what we really want is Corrie and Deadender.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well for those of you who can get BBC world tonight at 2030 CET:

20:30 HARDtalk (r)
    Jaap de Hoop Scheffer
    Stephen Sackur talks to NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer. NATO's members are split over the future of the organisation's troops in Afghanistan. Jaap de Hoop Scheffer still believes that the Afghan operation is 'mission possible'.
  3. May be available as a download after the programme?

I do wonder why BFBS don't offer this facilty, maybe via a P2P system to speed it up?
  4. General Sir Michael Jackson, who was in charge of the British Army at the time of the Iraq invasion, will deliver a salvo against the Labour government, demanding that the Ministry of Defence returns control of the armed forces to its chiefs-of-staff in tonight's Richard Dimbleby Lecture

Richard Dimbleby Lecture, BBC1, 11.20pm

Giving tonight's Richard Dimbleby Lecture on BBC1, Gen Jackson heaps scorn on the MoD. The former Chief of the General Staff criticises the Ministry for becoming obsessed with 'best practice' and 'performance indicators and targets'. He says: "I find the MoD assumption that commercial so-called best practice transfers without question to defence to be without foundation.

Jackson says he was undermined by the MoD's control of the purse-strings and its obsessive over-centralisation of the armed forces. As a result, armed forces chiefs found themselves with "much responsibility and no power". He says the impact was felt across the Army, resulting in disastrous decisions being made over defence medical services and also impacting on training and logistics.

The General, who himself oversaw dramatic defence cutbacks in 2004, complains of lack of support for soldiers: "Throughout my career, I have been taught that it is the soldiers who will make the endeavour succeed. Sadly, I did not find this fundamental proposition shared by the MoD. Where the Ministry of Defence is concerned, there is a failure, an unwillingness even, to understand the fundamental ethos of soldiering."
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Well said, General (Retd).

All that is necessary for the triumph of New Labour is for good men to say nothing whilst CGS.
  6. VB, don't often disagree with you, but this Jackson critique is entirely predictable and in keeping with a succession of military leaders who have resolutely failed to stand up for their men when in post. I will not bother to listen. If he feels that strongly about it, why did he not try and do something at the time, instead of fawning about with his New Labour bosses?

7. Precisely. But Jackson made a speciality of saying quite a lot whilst making his way up the greasy pole - much of if garbage. Well, let's see what the good General (retd) has found on the road to Damascus...
  8. Their was programme on BBC2 on Monday night about Politicians and generals, quite interesting Sir Mike was interviewed and said he thought of resigning on a couple of occasions. He made a good point that if he did resign it would cause a stink for a week but then be forgotten, he thought it was better to stay and try and fight his corner, he may not have been successful.
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

'Well said', was an attempt at irony. I agree with your (and others') assessment of Jacko.
  10. The Dark Prince gives his first interview-cum-lecture since leaving the service of Her Majesty as a Soldier titled as Defense of the Realm in the 21st Century.

Should be quite interesting...
  11. [marq=right]
    If it is really entitled Defense of the realm then clearly all is lost; I am not sure that defending the 51st State is worth it.
  12. *laughs*

Yes, that's what happens when I copy and paste instead of typing it out like the diligent young man I am.
  13. oh yeah? :roll:
  14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Or even diligently failing to notice that this thread was started at 1246 today...