Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen Cowan's Edict - A Reply

Perhaps now our senior officers will concentrate on planning to frustrate these fellows

I do believe that the chap in the 2nd tank back has got a cornetto in his hand. Charge him Sgt Major.

Yes. Should the salt be sprinkled over one's meal or put in a little pile on the plate?
What would be the point of a pile of salt?
Unless you are doing a bit of Lots wife walting, it would be pointless.

I do hope the PMC's got the balls to put hamburger & chips on for his dining out.

And fair play to his new employers for adopting an otherwise unemployable man universally derided as a laughing stock.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Perhaps now our senior officers will concentrate on planning to frustrate these fellows

Not until they've sorted out the really important stuff - in v out; up v down; black v brown...

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Story confirmed: http://www.halotrust.org/media-centre/news-press-releases/halo-appoints-new-chief-executive

Mon, 23/02/2015 - 19:52 — Carol Rogerson
LANDMINE CLEARANCE CHARITY HALO TRUST APPOINTS JAMES COWAN AS NEW CHIEF EXECUTIVE

The HALO Trust, the oldest and largest humanitarian landmine clearance organisation in the world, has today announced the appointment of James Cowan as their new Chief Executive Officer.

James Cowan CBE DSO is a British Army Officer who commands the 3rd UK Division. Following a thirty-three year distinguished army career, he will take up his position as CEO, leading and running the most respected mine clearance organisation in the world. James’s experience leading defence operations around the globe offers the unique in-country experience that is critical to HALO’s plan to extend its work in new regions. His appointment will ensure that HALO continues to achieve the best possible outcomes for people living in post-conflict countries.

Mr Cowan’s appointment follows a competitive recruitment process.

James Cowan said:
“After more than thirty eventful years serving in the British Army I am ready to move on to a new challenge. It is with great pride and excitement that I join The HALO Trust, an organisation that is bringing about real and lasting change to parts of the world living with the legacy of conflict. The staff at HALO are highly skilled and highly dedicated and I look forward to being a part of that incredible team.”

Chairman of HALO Trust UK, Amanda Pullinger welcomed the new appointment:
“I am delighted to announce the appointment of James Cowan as the new Chief Executive of The HALO Trust. James is a thoughtful leader whose understanding and experience of working in conflict zones, together with his immense knowledge running large programmes and projects will be invaluable to HALO. James will bring his incredible professionalism to bear leading and shaping our future programme of work. Through 2015 and beyond we are focused on building on our successes to date and extending our work into new regions and pioneering new techniques to continue to reduce casualties. I very much look forward to working with him.”

Chairman of HALO USA, Cindy McCain said:
“James Cowan is an outstanding candidate who brings a unique set of skills and experiences that will hugely benefit HALO in achieving our mission of protecting lives and restoring livelihoods threatened by landmines and debris of war. James’s previous work saw him bring together geographically and culturally diverse teams of people to achieve shared results; this global focus makes him the perfect fit for HALO. Since its foundation, HALO has enabled millions of people to return to their homes without fear of death or injury. James’s arrival marks a new, exciting chapter in that on going effort and I am pleased to welcome him to the team.”

- See more at: http://www.halotrust.org/media-cent...chief-executive#sthash.EGVKeJiF.9ArRHVQ0.dpuf

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jump or pushed?

Both. He was told that he was going no further so I imagine that will have caused him to rethink his career choices. He may also have been given the standard manning lever used on Generals by simply not being given another job after his tenure at 3XX ran out.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

He may also have been given the standard manning lever used on Generals by simply not being given another job after his tenure at 3XX ran out.
I guess you'd have to work pretty hard to get that one after commanding a Division. Anyone know the last GOC of a Division to stop there? It doesn't say much for the selection process...

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I guess you'd have to work pretty hard to get that one after commanding a Division. Anyone know the last GOC of a Division to stop there? It doesn't say much for the selection process...

He will have been on the track to 4 star, or at least considered a front runner for one of the top few jobs. The selection process just didn't account for him sending an email straight from 1936!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I note the HALO Trust refer to him as Mr Cowan. I wonder if that is policy and covers all former officers working with them - anyone know?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I note the HALO Trust refer to him as Mr Cowan. I wonder if that is policy and covers all former officers working with them - anyone know?

Who cares? He doesn't have a star crossed sword and baton to reinforce his opinion.

Crazy_Legs

War Hero
He will have been on the track to 4 star, or at least considered a front runner for one of the top few jobs. The selection process just didn't account for him sending an email straight from 1936!

That was certainly the Andover gossip last year....

Having worked with two retired Generals in industry (the defence industry), I would say that is normal. Both were referred to by their first names (and one was the corporate President).

I'm actually surprised to see him referred to as Mr Cowan, rather than James Cowan. Unless, of course, he asked to be a Mr...........more formal, you know......

Latest Threads