Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemma Morgan: ‘I could be a good army officer… or a woman’

2000 Lieutenant Victoria Ann Searle Wentworth, RLC
1999 Lieutenant Gemma Claire Lowth, RLC

Attachments

• The Carmen's Sword of Honour - full listing_doc 2020.pdf
    150.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
See here, here claim to be the first woman to win the Carmen Sword is fibs
Was she called Rolfe?

2000 Lieutenant Victoria Ann Searle Wentworth, RLC
1999 Lieutenant Gemma Claire Lowth, RLC
Was Gemma Lowth.

But being the first female to be awarded Carmen Sword isn't remarkable in itself . The WRAC was disbanded in 1992, the RLC was formed in 1994. She commissioned in 1997; she was awarded it in 1999, the citation would have been written covering her first tour. Being athletic/fit, presentable and generally decent is enough to earn a citation. Its not VC winning stuff. Although a number of previous recipients have gone onto be 1*s.

Was Gemma Lowth.

But being the first female to be awarded Carmen Sword isn't remarkable in itself . The WRAC was disbanded in 1992, the RLC was formed in 1994. She commissioned in 1997; she was awarded it in 1999, the citation would have been written covering her first tour. Being athletic/fit, presentable and generally decent is enough to earn a citation. Its not VC winning stuff. Although a number of previous recipients have gone onto be 1*s.
cheers

G'wan, pull t'other one. No RAF DS would be fussed about the state of your pit. The RAF has maids to do that for you surely...

The Army has made me what I am today. I learned how to clean and dust my room and make my bed with scratchy wool blankets with proper hospital corners on the end. I only had to be shown once and it was a lesson well learned as I had to double time my bed to the company street with footlocker to set a showdown inspection al fresco.
View attachment 529067
What is that in your footlocker?
Sir, a jelly doughnut, Sir!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Was Gemma Lowth.

The Carmen’s Sword used to be awarded to basically the ‘top student’ on the TCC, although you can see from that list that it seems to have veered upwards at some times? I don’t know about that, but what I do know is that on my TCC (No 123, in mid 1980) the sword was replaced by an ‘Armada Dish’, so I don’t remember Dancing Jim Ferrier getting a sword, which is a pity. My memory may be buggered of course but I do remember getting a ‘Most Improved Student’ prize from Peter Marzetti.

It was a very long time ago!

That's what they try to sell us....In honesty they're mostly fücking useless,apart from that nice squishy bit in the middle.
Apparently.
I prefer the pair of wobbly bits with scammel starter buttons above that - hours of fun to be had!

Mrs Biff always tells me men are stupid and we can't multitask.
This is the same woman that can't reverse the car with the radio/music on.
My ex wouldn't have the radio or heater on, put her off driving

The Carmen’s Sword used to be awarded to basically the ‘top student’ on the TCC, although you can see from that list that it seems to have veered upwards at some times? I don’t know about that, but what I do know is that on my TCC (No 123, in mid 1980) the sword was replaced by an ‘Armada Dish’, so I don’t remember Dancing Jim Ferrier getting a sword, which is a pity. My memory may be buggered of course but I do remember getting a ‘Most Improved Student’ prize from Peter Marzetti.

The 2005 recipient, Capt (now Lt Col) Scott Dunlop, has just been awarded a very well deserved MBE in the New Years' Honours List.

Women say they multi-task to hide the fact they can’t prioritise.
Mind if I borrow that? I’ll put to good use I promise.

Mind if I borrow that? I’ll put to good use I promise.
No probs.
A few years ago I attended a Senior Management course. We were a mixed bunch, smart chaps and chapesses.
I forget the context now, but I pulled that one out during a discussion.
The chaps laughed - a couple of them nervously as they scanned the skies for thunderbolts - and there was the expected sharp intake of breath from the distaff side.
Except for one: exceptionally intelligent, good looking, fit, and a Regional General Manager of a major tobacco company.
She looked thoughtful and said: ‘No, hang on. Tracks is right you know . We don’t prioritise - I’ve just realised I don’t. We get distracted. We don’t see the most important job through before starting on something else.
Tracks, many thanks. You’ve opened my eyes to a big failing.’
I had been expecting brickbats, and getting that response, from a woman, really made my day.

Are you sure about this? There was definitely a TCC prize and the Carmen Sword as separate awards - albeit I'm about 10yrs behind you! Also, the Carmen Sword must predate the RLC - looking at some of the hoods on the list, I assume it was a RCT thing?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you sure about this? There was definitely a TCC prize and the Carmen Sword as separate awards - albeit I'm about 10yrs behind you! Also, the Carmen Sword must predate the RLC - looking at some of the hoods on the list, I assume it was a RCT thing?
I haven’t made myself clear - in 1980 (my frame of reference) the Carmen’s Sword was the TCC top student prize - but poor old Jim got an armada dish and I got a book.

I could be wrong but I know Jim didn’t get a sword.

Of course it was all a long time ago and I was very, very......

The 2005 recipient, Capt (now Lt Col) Scott Dunlop, has just been awarded a very well deserved MBE in the New Years' Honours List.
But he really is a sh1t mother

I haven’t made myself clear - in 1980 (my frame of reference) the Carmen’s Sword was the TCC top student prize - but poor old Jim got an armada dish and I got a book.

I could be wrong but I know Jim didn’t get a sword.

Of course it was all a long time ago and I was very, very......
RCT?

I think, even in my YO days winners never actually got to keep the sword, thats a recent iteration.

Latest Threads