Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemma Morgan: ‘I could be a good army officer… or a woman’

anglo

LE
Naw - That was Bob

Anyway - A wee dit about Frank courtesy of Reporting Scotland ( think that is what it was called ) sometime in the early 90's.

A gunner ( RA ) goes AWOL from somewhere in Germany and legs it back to Scotland.

Somehow this TV programme got involved and was interviewing his father ( String vest and cigarette hanging out the mouth )

Read the following in a broad Glaswegian accent )

Aye, says the father '' Ye see the advert on the telly. Frank daen this and Frank dean that. What they don't tell you about is the doin's Frank's getting every night '' :D :D ( for the non Scots, a doin is Scottish for a beating )

Cue me creased up in hysterics :D:D

Camera pans to Mr AWOL and the reporter asks, so why did you go AWOL ?

Mr AWOL '' Ah wiz oan exercise and the Cpl telt me tae pit up the cam net. Ah didnae no how tae dae it so ah jist stood there and aboot 15 minutes later the Cpl skelped me wi a shovel ''

Cue me now creased up in uncontrollable hysterics :D:D

The programme makers have apparently spoken with the MOD and if Mr AWOL hands himself in he will be medically discharged. Nothing to worry about Mr AWOL, we will go with you to Strathearn Road MRS, the crew inform Mr AWOL.

Camera films Mr AWOL walking along Strathearn Rd, panning around as he enters the gate and walks up to the door of the MRS.

Just as he is about to press the buzzer, the door flies open, a hand emerges and grabs Mr AWOL and drags him inside with the door slammed shut :D:D

Presenter speechless :D:D My ribs are aching and tears are streaming down my face:D:D

Sadly, I have no idea what happened to Mr AWOL or how his Military Career progressed :D:D
Sadly, I have no idea what happened to Mr AWOL or how his Military Career progressed :D:D

Ah joined the RAF regiment

My late mother served in the W.R.A.C. from 1970-74......:eek:
Was that when she was “asked to leave”? My mum was in 1972, and then I came along in 1973. My mum and dad’s finest hour. They got it right first time, but insisted on some follow ups, and siblings followed. Up to them, I guess.
My mum joined the WRAC in the late 1960s. She met her best friend in the WRAC, and they are spending Xmas in 2020 together (after an awful year for mum‘s friend).
Mrs R was WRAC on disbandment (RE thereafter) and I was present at the final parade. It was sad (many were killed or injured on duty) but somehow joyous that their job was done, and those serving could move on.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Was that when she was “asked to leave”? My mum was in 1972, and then I came along in 1973. My mum and dad’s finest hour. They got it right first time, but insisted on some follow ups, and siblings followed. Up to them, I guess.
My mum joined the WRAC in the late 1960s. She met her best friend in the WRAC, and they are spending Xmas in 2020 together (after an awful year for mum‘s friend).
Mrs R was WRAC on disbandment (RE thereafter) and I was present at the final parade. It was sad (many were killed or injured on duty) but somehow joyous that their job was done, and those serving could move on.
You are correct, she was discharged for being pregnant. Make no mistake though she/they knew bloody well that if they got pregnant they were out.

You are correct, she was discharged for being pregnant. Make no mistake though she/they knew bloody well that if they got pregnant they were out.

When I was in ICSC I was sat in the Red Shield (or similar), in civvies with a brew reading some fascinating study notes.

After a while 3 ladies occupied the table behind, one was clearly a wife of (think she was ex-officer) and the other 2 were serving officers.
One of the female officers starting outlining her plan at the end of ICSC was to get pregnant. This would mean she could not deploy, followed by maternity leave and its 12 months from the birth before you are eligible to deploy on Ops. At which point her plan was to get pregnant again, repeat the process. By which point she would be at her IPP and would bang out. Basically dodge ops for 3 maybe 4 years then bang out. Cue laughter from 2nd female officer as she says "oh god yes, that's my plan too".

So yes, well done for gaming the system. But whilst you aren't doings Ops/Ex, other poor buggers have to take up the slack.

Billy Connolly summed up the view of a young squaddy sitting in a hospital ward in Belfast in the seventies wondering where was the sunshine and skiing that the recruiting sergeant had promised that he would be doing if he enlisted. If I remember correctly from the original LP the young Jock had only enlisted because he was a keen canoist and the sergeant in the recruiting office told him he could do lots of that in the army.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Billy Connolly summed up the view of a young squaddy sitting in a hospital ward in Belfast in the seventies wondering where was the sunshine and skiing that the recruiting sergeant had promised that he would be doing if he enlisted. If I remember correctly from the original LP the young Jock had only enlisted because he was a keen canoist and the sergeant in the recruiting office told him he could do lots of that in the army.

A superb song with, I have always thought, one of the most poignant lines,
"What do you do with a gun in your hand
When you're facing a hundred odd weans"

I don’t care that she’s a chick. You don’t need to have been in Helmand to suffer PTSD related to military service.

Plenty of blokes have done far less and suffered mental health issues.

Your posts highlight a lack of knowledge and experience which is disappointing. I can’t be arsed reading through your REMF posts but I hope you don’t/didn’t hold a command appointment this century.

You complete screamer.
I suffered from terrible flashbacks after reading Bravo Bravo's thread 'Change to the Ignore function'...

... It took me right back to my time on Mumsnet :O

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
G'wan, pull t'other one. No RAF DS would be fussed about the state of your pit. The RAF has maids to do that for you surely...

The Army has made me what I am today. I learned how to clean and dust my room and make my bed with scratchy wool blankets with proper hospital corners on the end. I only had to be shown once and it was a lesson well learned as I had to double time my bed to the company street with footlocker to set a showdown inspection al fresco.
View attachment 529067
Is that a headlocker in the middle, and did they teach you to swallow ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
'70 - '74 you say .....
Did she ever come on a parachuting Course ?

( sorry, just kidding )
WRACs came when they attended any cses.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No but she did serve with more than a few though.
She also said that if they knew you weren't interested they left you alone.
There's plenty of male squaddies that weren't interested in the huge WRAC jousters, but they got a kicking anyway.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A superb song with, I have always thought, one of the most poignant lines,
"What do you do with a gun in your hand
When you're facing a hundred odd weans"
Aim lower.

I don't/didn't know this lady, despite being from roughly the same era. I will take @KnightsofRowallan word for it as I trust his opinion - he summed it up brilliantly in an earlier post.

A couple of things to add:

-She criticises the toxic-culture of the Army, yet uses her 'military leadership' experience as a key skill and USP on her slick marketing videos. It can't be both?

- Not entirely sure what her specific leadership credentials are, seems an entirely ordinary (mediocre) start to a commissioned career in the RLC. However, she should be commended for her marketing skills.

-Regarding discrimination - such as the CorpsLO post - I recall at that time it was probably one of the most sought after jobs for a YO; to suggest she didn't get the job based on gender is slightly far-fetched irrespective of what she recalls of the conversation with the Regt Col - who incidentally would have been the same Regt Col that awarded the Carmen's Sword.

Latest Threads