Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemma Morgan: ‘I could be a good army officer… or a woman’

miner69er

Old-Salt
When Gemma Morgan joined the Army, she looked forward to serving her country with pride. But after struggling with a culture of ‘toxic masculinity’, she plummeted to rock bottom. She describes her battle back from the brink.

Do i sniff a book or an exclusive on some womens chat show?

Daily Mail story that is utter bollocks designed to generate outrage.

It was a steep learning curve, from the 5.30am starts – your bed already made with tight hospital corners – through to the brutal physical tests of endurance and strength

13 minutes to do a PFA, you lazy fucking cow.

That’s a shame luv, never mind get yer knickers on and make us a mug of tea.

Daily Mail story that is utter bollocks designed to generate outrage.

your bed already made with tight hospital corners –

What no duvets now? It's gone back to the green wools?

Attachments

• PXL_20201213_003616006.MP_compress66~2.jpg
    PXL_20201213_003616006.MP_compress66~2.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 138

unicorn77

War Hero
When Gemma Morgan joined the Army, she looked forward to serving her country with pride. And struggling with a culture of masculinity that being the army as she should have known it, she plummeted to rock bottom because she could not hack it. She describes her battle back from the brink in this book to make her fortune,

Link guys?

Growing up in a middle-class home in Surrey, my schoolgirl ambitions were sporting and musical. I captained the England under-18s lacrosse side and won a place to study sports science at Birmingham University, only to realise, three quarters of the way through my subsequent postgraduate teaching course, that it wasn’t for me.

I captained the England under-18s lacrosse side and won a place to study sports science at Birmingham University, only to realise, three quarters of the way through my subsequent postgraduate teaching course, that it wasn’t for me.
If she couldn't hack a PGCE with some teenage gobshites being difficult then chances are being an officer wasn't the right choice, what with having to be in charge of gobshites trained soldiers.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Carmen’s Sword winner?

What does the RLC have to say?

Serious question! Who is she? I did a search but couldn't find much about her.

spurred on by the poster campaign at the time which showed soldiers skiing and jumping out of planes, I decided to join her.

FFS are they still falling for that old trick. Still I suppose they have had to update the poster of a group of squaddies windsurfing in Hong Kong and sunbathing on the beach drinking a cocktail amongst a group of adoring chicks.

spurred on by the poster campaign at the time which showed soldiers skiing and jumping out of planes, I decided to join her.

FFS are they still falling for that old trick. Still I suppose they have had to update the poster of a group of squaddies windsurfing in Hong Kong and sunbathing on the beach drinking a cocktail amongst a group of adoring chicks.
After giving my notice in 1982, in Hong Kong, it dawned on me that I had missed out on adventure training so decided to try and catch up. First blag was a five day windsurfing course. Fear, I realised, was being in the water sorting stuff out and looking up to see a Gurkha under full sail and unable to alter course heading straight for me. Second blag was a dinghy sailing course which was generally a bit safer.

I wouldn't mind getting involved in some toxic femininity with the girls in this film though. With the exception of the large squad leader with the moustache at the beginning of the film. She could have been an RSM in the WRAC. Luckily she is not in the sauna scenes at the end. They would have been better off with sub-titles though rather than the bad dubbing.

Still, none of this PC b*llocks in Vlads army.

After giving my notice in 1982, in Hong Kong, it dawned on me that I had missed out on adventure training so decided to try and catch up. First blag was a five day windsurfing course. Fear, I realised, was being in the water sorting stuff out and looking up to see a Gurkha under full sail and unable to alter course heading straight for me. Second blag was a dinghy sailing course which was generally a bit safer.
The first and only time I did windsurfing was on a weeks adventure training at Ping Chau Island, Hong Kong. I found it quite easy and had no problem standing on the board. The problem was I was rapidly heading for the Chinese mainland while I was trying to figure out which way to tack.

To avoid a one man invasion of the PRC and probably a diplomatic incident I collapsed the board and swam back. It was a good week though. We went in conjunction with the nurses and staff from BMH Hong Kong so it ended up like an episode from Mash.

Fear, I realised, was being in the water sorting stuff out and looking up to see a Gurkha under full sail and unable to alter course heading straight for me.
I never parachuted with Gurkhas except for a couple on my TA/Refresher course but I have heard loads of horror stories about them such as trying to release their containers in the slipstream.

Latest Threads