geeky computer question.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Lairdx, Jun 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not the most computer literate of people so humour me.

What is the score with this logging on thing where you have to copy what appears in a box. I have come accross it a few times now. Usually they are jumbled up or distorted and I find myself pondering things like "Is that supposed to be a zero or an o? That might be a Q?" etc etc.

Of course this strange thing now happens with my arrse log in.

Can somebody satisfy my curiosity and explain (In simple terms that a technochimp like me can understand) what this is for and what it does?

2. It is to make sure a real person is logging-on and not a (software) robot. Helps to stop idiots crashing forums, for example, by flooding them with spurious users.
  3. Don't take my word for it:

I would say that it is to stop people using a computer program to automatically type in their username and password. It requires a person to read the message in the box because if you are finding it difficult to read there is no way a program will be able to do it.

Why someone one would want to auto-logon to arrse is a different question entirely.
  4. It’s a bit of extra security to help reduce/prevent the risk of trolls hacking our user accounts.

You can get hacking software that trys to guess your password, by having to enter your password and the randomly generated text, life becomes just that little bit harder for the hacker.

This new login system was brought in after BB attempted to hack my and other ARRSErs accounts.
  5. That's that answered then, thanks Goku.
  6. Tell me about it. that huge essay in the military history forum was actually written by lawstudent who had hacked my account.
  7. If you’re interested, this is the thread that brought about the new password system.
  8. hmmm. interesting.
  9. Hi Lairdx,
    I, too, have a bit of trouble reading the code, because I've got a small screen. But what I've found helps (because the numbers are clear enough) is knowing the letters only go from "a" to "f" alphabetically, so it's reasonably easy to recognise the letter's shape from a limited choice.
  10. Very informative, I had wondered why we now had Yannie as Doctrine.
  11. I thought it was to stop people who were trolleyed from logging in and posting complete shite - as in you would have to hold one hand over your eye and squint at the screen to try and see the code, and type it in without f ucking it up or spilling your wine.

Fortunately, I just stay logged in all the time, so I don't have that problem.
  12. Time for plan B then :D
  13. Ohhhhhhh how I wish there was such a mechanism!!!!!!!!! And if that is the purpose of the code ....... ohhhhh ........ if only it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. I don't have trouble reading them on this site. On other sites where the characters are distorted though sometimes it's hard.
  15. Lairdx, hope you don't mind me using your thread but I figure this doesn't warrant its own.

Can any Technophiles out there tell me about the "Live Bookmark" function on Firefox. I don't quite get what it does. If I live bookmark the Arrse site index, will it autoupdate the content periodically without me refreshing the page. I know Good CO set up an RSS feed for the site, is this what would be used and how would it work?