GDPR - coming your way soon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Victorian_Major, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:54 PM.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

It is possible to ask and it’s also possible for it to be refused. As ever the ICO have produced some guidance but until it hits the courts, it’s all there is save some sectors getting together with the ICO to produce something more specific.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. How does this square with the need to keep records of accounts, medical treatments, ISO 9001/AS 9100 records, legal documents and so on?

3. Does this mean that it will be possible to stop most, if not all, of those irritating cold calls*/mailshots asking me to sign up to funeral plans, Virgin media, car/house insurance, PPI/accident claims, etc.

* As UK law doesn't cover those cold calls from parts of the world where public sanitation facilities are next to non-existent, it means I will have to continue to give them a stiff ignoring.

4. I should imagine that there are some exemptions to cover situations like those mentioned.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Suppose I objected to my name appearing in the London Gazette: Could I demand that it be removed? Could I insist that they have all paper copies in public offices and libraries redacted?

Like many good ideas it does seem a little mad. As previously noted public bodies are obliged to keep records how does that square away with being obliged to destroy them?

6. Basically, really, really badly.

As I wrote earlier, my belief is that if you are 14 or over, you are data-compromised. The cat is out of the bag; so much of your personal data is out there available to be mined, sifted, correlated, and exploited.

Reversing from this will be expensive and pointless. Your data is in China, Africa, and deep in the US and UK in places where it won’t be deleted.

GDPR is - in my view - massively naïf, written by someone who knew their ITIL but not technology or human nature. But it’s going to be law, folks...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. No it was written by a bunch of lawyers who understand human nature and know it will be a goldmine.

• Like Like x 1