GCSEs are no more

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Tough new O-Levels to replace GCSEs under Gove plan

Long overdue or unnecessary change? No doubt some of Gove's mates in the private sector will swoop in to deliver and design the new exam.

GCSEs were a farce when I did them ~11 years ago. One of the questions for GCSE Physics paper was something like "Which one of these emits light? A) A dog; B) A stick; C) A Lightbulb; D) A Brick".

I still got it wrong.
  2. Yawn it was the Tories that fetched in GCSE's
  3. That's before my time. Don't get me started on the grammar schools.
  4. O levels weren't fit for purpose, was too focused on a final exam, let's have some new examination boards and some jobs for the boys.
    Oh have we been here before?
  5. I'm sure they'll **** this latest reform up as has every government with every reform.
  6. It's not about reform it's about snatching money for themselves. All these ideas they have they've done before, they just fill their pockets and the pockets of their supporters.
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

O levels at least required an understanding of the subject so you could answer surprise questions instead of the by rote here's what will be in the paper learning they are doing at the moment.

FFS most of them cant even read a book properly. my neighbours lad is a great kid but reading to him is fishing magazine.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yes I got a whole load of surprise questions in one of my exams, we'd not covered any of them. Oh how we laughed when we all guessed in the multiple choice.
  9. Snore. And then the GCSE system was totally screwed by Labour who lowered the standards and added over 30% more, mainly non academic and pointless subjects.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It's only happening in England (education is a devolved matter). I can just see all of the Universities, Polyversities and Collegvesities being overjoyed by the sheer diversity of the types of qualifications that matriculating students present to them when trying for admission.
  11. And everyone got A grades and lived happily ever after.
  12. You're right they'll need some sort of Agency to oversee it. Choo choo gravy train.
  13. I did my GCE's in the army and they weren't easy. German in particular was a stinker - if you hadn't mastered a reasonable level of German you were stuffed. Later on I helped my daughter through hods of GCSE's, with some pass marks as low as 47% I was forced to wonder at the point of them. She suffered later when she did her law degree, which was a bloody hard slog.
  14. How is it that any talk of GCSEs compared with the GCE O Level, always managed to completely forget the CSE exams?

Are only young people around who never knew these? Have the older ones lost their memory?

The simple fact is that the GCSE replaced both the CSEs and the GCE O (Ordinary) Levels, but their equivalency compared with the CSE not the GCE O level. The only way they can share a very weak link is that the Grade 1 CSE was supposed to be equal to a Grade C O level. A grade 1 pass at GCSE was supposed to be equal to a grade C pass at O level, but after the introductory years this standard slipped considerably. In both level of attainment and in the grading of exam scripts. The GCSE uses a POSITIVE marking system where enough points can be given for partial answers to scrape a pass. For example in English Lang, an asnwer given as Bollocks! would be wrong and get zero points under the GCE system, but with the GCSE POSITIVE marking system the candidate would get a mark for the capital letter and another for the punctuation.

Compare that with such clauses specified in the CGE O Level syllabus which said;
    "A fundamental of English Langueage is that a sentence must start with a capital letter and end with a full stop. Candidates who fail to demonstrate this after their course of study cannot achieve a pass at Ordinary Level."
    Thus you can see it was far more strict in it's implementation. For example, someone using block letters in an essay instead of proper handwriting, could not get an O level pass. When you consider that such factors as handwriting were also graded for marks as well, it was a much stricter exam. It's easy to extrapolate this standard across all subjects.

Those of us who know these things for what they are have never considered the GCSE as being equal to an O Level. Further, some students are placed on the foundation level courses, where the higest grade they could get is a grade 3. That would loosely equate to a grade 4 at the old CSE, which many employers viewed as a fail. A pass grade so low after 2 years of study that it was frequently disregarded.

- Troy, calling a spade a spade!
  15. And were totally fucked when the reality hit them of the pointlessness of a grade a pass at GCSE level studies in media politics or some such tripe.