Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

GCSEs / A levels

chocolate_frog said:
You have two more sucks on the teat anyway.

3 x £1000 or 3 x £2000, or any permutation thereof, up to 10 years after you bang out. I think.

Yes you are right c_f BUT the allowance is taxable as soon as you leave.

My original post may have been a bit misleading because I'm not actually serving at the moment. I'm in the TA hoping to go regular. The reasons I ask about the GCSE's and A levels are I live in Scotland and got rather bad scottish standard grades, which are considered to be less worth than GCSE's even if the grades are good (and mine were pretty dismal). Also I might be interested in getting a commission one day when I feel I'm ready and don't want anything like school grades holding me back.

My options right now appear to be, join as a soldier and get my required grades while serving, or go to a civvy college and do the courses full time. The problem with the civvy option is I'm coming up to 20 at the end of this month and I feel like I need to stop p***ing about and get a career on the go.

Thanks for all the useful replies I got anyway.

daviroo said:
Also I might be interested in getting a commission one day when I feel I'm ready and don't want anything like school grades holding me back.

....and they will. You'll need better grades to be commissioned.

daviroo said:
The problem with the civvy option is I'm coming up to 20 at the end of this month and I feel like I need to stop p***ing about and get a career on the go.

No major rush mate if you are going for a commission (not yet anyway).

But as you can see - the choice is:

A. No grades, join as a soldier.
B. Get some good grades and commission.

However.....there's always this at a push:

C. Join as a soldier, work your proverbials off and re-sit your A-Levels while serving and at the same time displaying excellent leadership potential.......and then commission from the ranks.... :D

Choccy Frog said:
You have two more sucks on the teat anyway.

3 x £1000 or 3 x £2000, or any permutation thereof, up to 10 years after you bang out. I think.

You misunderstood mate - I have had all 3 bites now - each at £1000 mate. No more bish bosh for me. 8O