GCSE pass rate lowest for a decade

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dutch_Bird, Aug 21, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://education.independent.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=435695

So if we have a lower pass rate that previous the press say... "The education system [Government] failing"

and if we have a high pass rate than previous the press say... "Exams becoming easier, the education system [Government] is failing"

In the mean time the only thing that happens is that kids get demotivated and think "why bother" getting qualifications that nobody believes are worth the paper they're written on.

Just another reason why the country is going down the drain, and what for? So somebody can sell more papers playing on parents fears and ambitions of their children.
  2. The reality is best observed by parents of those taking GCSE courses.
    To achieve good grades at GCSE a LOT of hard work and commitment is needed.

Schools do spend far too much energy and time 'containing' the ill disciplined,badly behaved and disturbed kids. It's inadequate parenting and poor family life that is lowering the general happiness and performance of kids.

Have a flick through the study guides next time you are in WHSmiths if you doubt the standards required.

My eldest got 11 GCSE's....6 A's 4 B's and a C....there was little time for anything except homework and coursework in the final two years.

She was given the skills needed to study ..and has just got 2 A's 2 B's and a C at AS level without a problem.

Oxford here she comes?!
  3. Well done her, and you for passing on intelligent genes! The press should also realise that GCSE's and A-Levels must always be regarded as a benchmark. If you get E's & F's you're not as bright/committed as somebody who gets A's & B's. So it really doesn’t matter if the overall pass rate drops by 0,3%, as it has done this year.

But then again not everybody performs well in the classroom. My Dad left school with no qualifications but still managed to set up and run 2 successful businesses.
  4. I’m chuffed to bits my daughter just got A* in Maths, 2 A's, 2 B's, 4 C's & E in English (bit of a glitch there, didn’t finish her course work apparently).
  5. congrats on your daughters results Doc.
    I suppose with so many people failing their GCSEs the CMT trade manning levels will rise :twisted: :twisted:
  6. Does it really matter - you seem to get a degree for wiping you own arse these days.
  7. So the papers would have us believe.
    So you found it dead easy then one-flew-over ?
    What degree did you get pray tell :?:
  8. Well done blondebint, my words exactly. My dissertation was posted yesterday & has taken a good part of my spare time for the last 2 years.
  9. That and wiping puss off blokes knobs :twisted: :twisted:
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Surely you mean pus - English language not required for ODPs, clearly. :D
  11. unless i meant pussy and simply missed off the y!!! :oops:
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Hmmm - but you would hardly have to visit the GU dept for that, unless the nurse happened to be a certain female SNCO with enormous norks and a great line in filthy humour. :lol:
  13. Well it is a filter trade for all other CEG's within the AMS as stated by previous TTO!!!! So that should mean ODP manning levels should rise!!!!
  14. well lets hope thats true then ,send some other buggers on tour instead of the ones who always seem to go.