GCSE pass grades

Discussion in 'REME' started by nba2005uk, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi. As i wanted to sign up to be a plumber in the army i have to have 3 GCSE's and maths and english language being two of them, both of which i dont have. I have 3 GCSE's but different subjects. Now does this mean i definetly cant apply for this job, and many other jobs for that matter because most include having maths. Only asking because my mate seems to think he passed his barb test and a lot more jobs came up than he expected. Cheers guys.
  2. NBA,

    A while ago I would have answered your question with confidence, but the rules change all the time, so the Army's website or the ACIO have the definitive answer. IMHO, you need both Maths and English at GCSE Grade D minimum or the equivalent, especially for a technical trade.

    I am not aware that the REME offers a plumbing trade: try the Royal Engineers' (Sappers) forum.

  3. FAIL!!!

    You want to RE, not the REME, as Litotes's pointed out.
  4. I would have to agree NBA you do not seem to really have much of an idea, all your post so far go on about your mate this and your mate that. The RE and REME are two entirely separate Corps.

    Your best bet is to work out by looking at Corps` websites and the Army website what you want to do, and then go to the local AFCO and find out exactly what your qualifications will allow you to do.


    edited for after lunch mongness
  5. And the passes were A to C I take it, as D to F are course attended!

    If they are short of any trades, as they have in the past, while in basic you have to take and pass Maths modules to be able to then carry on for the Trade Trg.

    But of course THEY the Mod may have yet again relaxed the minimum standards, as suggested, visit your local ACIO (Army Career's Office)