GCSB declines Huawei proposal, 'would raise significant security risks' (Sparks planned 5G network)

Huawei will have to pay a bit more in backhanders to get this through, business is never cheap.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuine question: Apple make a LOT of its products in China. What's the difference? Chipsets, etc. must be sourced locally. Who's to say that intelligence-gathering isn't being somehow piggybacked there, too?

In the end, if you want things to be secure you bring all production of such goods back within sovereign borders - and even then you have to be very, very vigilant.

Genuine question: Apple make a LOT of its products in China. What's the difference? Chipsets, etc. must be sourced locally. Who's to say that intelligence-gathering isn't being somehow piggybacked there, too?

In the end, if you want things to be secure you bring all production of such goods back within sovereign borders - and even then you have to be very, very vigilant.

German firm makes the bits in Singapore.

*cough, cough*

"BT has said it will not use Huawei's equipment within the heart of its 5G mobile network when it is rolled out in the UK.

The British firm, however, still plans to use the Chinese company's phone mast antennas and other products deemed not to be at the "core" of the service. . . "

BT bars Huawei kit from core of 5G network

. . . really must get something for that tickly throat . . .

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Because giving the PLA access to every single IoT device was always a good idea.

Look at how they treat their own ffs...

Chinese school uses facial recognition to check if pupils aren't concentrating | TheINQUIRER

China's dystopian social credit system set to begin rollout in 2021 | TheINQUIRER

Ban the lot of them, the patent thieving communist tyrants.

The Five Eyes need to come together on this.
Indeed.

I had various things to do with various bits of the European Commission a few years back. China wanted in to the Galileo project. The EC was concerned because one of the things that the Chinese were proposing to do was chip its citizens...

I work in the mobile telecoms industry and Huawei eqpt is omni present, why, its cheaper than Ericsson, Motorola et al, it does wonderful things, why, well one story doing the round was that one day a Chinese engineer was sparking his lap top up on site and someone looked over his shoulder all the logos for all the telecoms manufacturers flashed up ie they had just 'borrowed' all the copy write and protected soft ware and merged it into one, allegedly of course . . .

I work in the mobile telecoms industry and Huawei eqpt is omni present, why, its cheaper than Ericsson, Motorola et al, it does wonderful things, why, well one story doing the round was that one day a Chinese engineer was sparking his lap top up on site and someone looked over his shoulder all the logos for all the telecoms manufacturers flashed up ie they had just 'borrowed' all the copy write and protected soft ware and merged it into one, allegedly of course . . .
That's nothing, way back I was working at a PC manufacturer who will remain unnamed, A chinese fella was working on the QC bench which I was using to recover some bespoke graphic material I was working on at the time (USB mechanical disk) only to find the cheeky twat was uploading whatever he could to his cloud account, skydrive at the time iirc. I remoted on during lunch, His browser was still logged in, deleted all the shit he had in the cloud (even his own), emptied the cloud recycler, went over and unplugged my drive.

When he got back he said nowt.
He couldn't.
The twat.

Theiving slippery buggers, you have to watch them.
They are like crack addicts for other peoples intellectual property.

They will use 5G to scrape trade secrets they can and sell them back us as N/S shite.

Remember, another famous communist "We will sell the west the rope with which they will hang themselves"
Well, It's not their rope and you cant hang what you can't catch.

Latest Threads