GB75 and Civil Assistance/Unison Group

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

During the early 1970s there seems to have been a trend of right-wing 'action groups' like David Stirling's GB75 and Walter Walker's Civil Assistance. I've come across references to them whilst researching other topics in that era, but there doesn't seem to be much information on them apart from an abbreviated Wiki entry. Even Walker's autobiography was pretty scratchy about it.

Anyone here know anything about them, or was even a member? Did they actually do anything i.e. march, demonstrate, defence training etc.? I wonder too if groups like EDL are the modern versions of GB75 and CA, formed to counter a perceived threat to society.

Really just curious about the whole era (I was a toddler then so my own memories are limited to playing with a teddy bear and watching Hawaii 5 O) and would love to hear of any info any of you have.

2. General Sir Walter Walker was a man of extremeprinciple. At the risk of offending Jarrod and any passing padres, he memorably declared that people "who use the main sewer of the human body as a playground" were unfit for military service...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sewers and playgrounds were the 70s IIRC, given that as a child one could disappear off the radar for days on end prior to parents being marginally interested. A good programme showing a range of pathologcal progeny we can be proud/horrified/proud of in the space of a few seconds. Depending on the flavour of coffee.

4. Just found this pdf. The chapter entitled The "Private Armies of 1974 Re-examined" has a lot on what is known about GB75, Unison etc. It seems they were pretty much contingency planning groups who would provide essential services- fire, ambulances, electricity etc, perhaps also assist the police- in case of a general strike or something similar and mostly existed only on paper.This excerpt from the end of the chapter sums it up:

http://www.8bitmode.com/rogerdog/lobster/lobster11.pdf

5. Just got to see Michael Cockerill's film, part of which focuses on General Sir Walter Walker.
    I just wondered if there is a copy of the BBC's embargoed 1970s film, The Day in the life of a General,
    somewhere out in the interwebs?
    Will be getting a copy of Pocock's biography, as a result of this interesting programme.