GB News - serious challenger to Aunty & SKY?

Just watched Marr vs Jenrick on the Marr show. Jenrick apparently being a late stand in. The usual question/interruption fare on Bojo et al being part of the daily test alternative to self-isolation. The set-up led to Jenrick being asked at the end was he actually going to cast his mask aside as he apparently said he would. I never said that says Jenrick. I have the transcrpit says Marr who then reads it out but it was lost in the noise of the previous gotcha attempts.

GB News clearly have time they need to fill. Interviewing on a question/follow-up rather than a question interrupt basis would stand out in this market and I think might produce certainly different and possibly better results. Jenrick should have been shown the evidence asked and given the time to account for himself. Not to force a "U turn" but to make clear his attitudes and government policy.

Just watched Marr vs Jenrick on the Marr show. Jenrick apparently being a late stand in. The usual question/interruption fare on Bojo et al being part of the daily test alternative to self-isolation. The set-up led to Jenrick being asked at the end was he actually going to cast his mask aside as he apparently said he would. I never said that says Jenrick. I have the transcrpit says Marr who then reads it out but it was lost in the noise of the previous gotcha attempts.

GB News clearly have time they need to fill. Interviewing on a question/follow-up rather than a question interrupt basis would stand out in this market and I think might produce certainly different and possibly better results. Jenrick should have been shown the evidence asked and given the time to account for himself. Not to force a "U turn" but to make clear his attitudes and government policy.
I agree, but a lot of prominent MPs etc, are very good at giving long rambling replies, and love to fill the time in order to reduce the ability and chance of effective follow up questions.

If a way can be found to stop guests doing that, as well as interviewers interrupting, the quality will vastly improve all round I think.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree, but a lot of prominent MPs etc, are very good at giving long rambling replies, and love to fill the time in order to reduce the ability and chance of effective follow up questions.

If a way can be found to stop guests doing that, as well as interviewers interrupting, the quality will vastly improve all round I think.
This. I was once interviewed on a BBC panel session with Steven Norris. He is a master at keeping going. You have to be very forceful to break in and make point with people like him.

The interviewers should know this - and when and how to butt in.

JCC

LE

Don't do "live" interviews and make it clear waffle will be edited out. Ditto long rambling multi-part questions - listening to me Humphrys!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't do "live" interviews and make it clear waffle will be edited out. Ditto long rambling multi-part questions - listening to me Humphrys!
Precisely what happened during the panel session I described above. In that case, because we ended up in quite a lively debate (there were actually three of us, plus the host), we talked for over an hour. By the time it made it to air, it was taken down to 25 minutes.

And, I might say, quite skilfully; the editing team did a great job of keeping the salient points (there was actually very little 'slack', with some very good debate), cutting it by over half and making it seamless.

Well, GB News has had an interesting period to say the least.

With Guto Harri currently suspended for his live on air ‘taking the knee’ & guaranteed woke irritant Nigel Farage gets a weekly prime time slot.

Here’s king of woke Guardian & Kenan Malik article on GB News.

Apparently a new format type is being released in September, so we’ll see how well it continues to develop.

Well, GB News has had an interesting period to say the least.

With Guto Harri currently suspended for his live on air ‘taking the knee’ & guaranteed woke irritant Nigel Farage gets a weekly prime time slot.

Here’s king of woke Guardian & Kenan Malik article on GB News.

Apparently a new format type is being released in September, so we’ll see how well it continues to develop.
Is it any wonder the Guardian is on it's knees?

1626609322937.png

1626609351195.png

It's quite high but they are free - no paywall so anyone can read it.

But comment isn't free, dissenting views are heavily censored