GB News - serious challenger to Aunty & SKY?

A very good friend of mine is in quite a senior position in a big global advertising and media company and if people knew what was going on in that industry sector is would turn their hair white. It’s absolutely terrifying and the influence and reach of these agencies is equally scary. They are full of 20 something snowflakes and 90% female with the average age being 26. It’s full of left wing meeja types.
That would explain the current ethnic makeup of TV ads which bear no relation to reality.

That would explain the current ethnic makeup of TV ads which bear no relation to reality.

correct. The advertising and media sector interestingly enough is moving from pushing equality and diversity into sustainability which is the big deal in 2021. I suspect that’s because they think ‘job done’ on the interracial agenda which has been pushed for the last few years.

Oyibo

LE
Careful now...

It's you who is wrong in this instance.
It was you who first mentioned 'sailor's cocks' with a quite clear homosexual reference.
Are you suggesting sailors are more likely to be homosexual? Are you suggesting that if they were that it would be a bad thing worthy of ridicule?

Not after an argument..just pointing out something.

Potential hate crime mal-comms.
llech has fallen foul of this before too..thinking that anything is permissable if the aim is perceived virtuous.
He stopped it.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt

Heard on the show that Channel 4 could be sold off next year. It's making the papers too. Konstantin says a very left wing friend who worked for Channel 4 left the channel, saying it was too left wing even for him. Interesting anecdote. Konstantin has reluctantly come to the conclusion that BBC and Channel 4 should be left to market forces.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ikea has somewhat backtracked, but too late as far as some twitter users are concerned:
I don't entirely believe the 'we're waiting to see what the channel is like' line.

View attachment 582322
Me neither, if you had a chance to advertise on another new platform, you'd take it.

Dominique Samuels is new to me and I'm impressed so far.
I've followed her on twitter for a while now, generally I think she is very good although some of her disagreements with the covid measures have been a little off to me, but the beauty of not being a rabid lefty is listening to and respecting others opinions without throwing insults and abuse. If she decides to go fully into politics when she finishes university she'll likely go far.

IKEA have been mentioned in this thread as they are boycotting GB News.

I think IKEA and their advertising or marketing in the U.K. are nothing short of genius. They certainly know how to maximise their image.
IKEA outside of the U.K. is often seen as flat pack tat, whereas in the U.K. it’s often an aspirational store that appears to the middle classes.

While their flat pack stuff is better than the old MFI or current Argos/Habitat furniture it is still nothing special.

They do know their loyal middle class or Guardian reading customers though. and boycotting GB news will probably enhance customer loyalty.

Having installed or assembled literally thousands of IKEA pieces for customers I’m very very aware of how those who don’t know one end of a screwdriver from the other think IKEA is the bee’s knees.

Late to the party here, but one of the tradies I was working alongside described a particularly bad piece of flat-pack cabinetry made by another company as "IKEA shit with an attitude".

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
For this mornings news they have changed the angle of the studio camera so the presenters don't disappear into the background, as much. It's a shame that the sound quality for their outside reporter at Kings Cross is still utter shite, plus she can't stand still - she's rocking from side to side.

For this mornings news they have changed the angle of the studio camera so the presenters don't disappear into the background, as much. It's a shame that the sound quality for their outside reporter at Kings Cross is still utter shite, plus she can't stand still - she's rocking from side to side.
Ellie seemed okay to me, considering she had a microphone in one hand and an umberella in the other. Rosie had some audio issues at Hastings though.

yeah but there were compensations

D8409990-D10E-4CB6-84F0-1FEE80F1E983.jpeg

You don't suppose the point of advertising is to appeal to as wide a range of potential customers as possible, rather than reflect national demographics to the nearest tenth of a percent?

Tell me it ain't so!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You don't suppose the point of advertising is to appeal to as wide a range of potential customers as possible, rather than reflect national demographics to the nearest tenth of a percent?

Tell me it ain't so!
I wasn't aware that Britain is wholly populated by black, wheelchair-bound lesbians. Hey ho, every day's a schoolday.

I'm told it helps if the potential customers are able to relate to it. Doesn't seem to be working in those parts.

I wasn't aware that Britain is wholly populated by black, wheelchair-bound lesbians.
It ain't.

You're presumably aware, though, that black, wheelchair-bound lesbians occasionally like to buy stuff, and that the companies who pay for advertising would quite like it to be their stuff?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm told it helps if the potential customers are able to relate to it. Doesn't seem to be working in those parts.
You mean like I watch Now 70s because I have cancelled modem "popular" " music", and they carry a Just Eat advert whose jingle is a so-called rap (but I think there's a C missing)

Last edited:
It depends on which customers they're aiming at - as well as their potential spending power.

Disgruntled geriatrics eking out their pensions from behind a wall of British Legion regalia probably aren't high on their list of target markets.

Latest Threads