GB News - serious challenger to Aunty & SKY?

Currently watching a bit that's a pre-recorded..during the break.
Massive overload of: "Conversations" "Communities" "Pandemic" "Reaching out" "story".

Personal opinion...they need to bin the Harry & Meg type word salad stuff.
I'll tell you what, the telly hasn't been on so much, let alone on one channel for a very long time. I don't watch telly 24/7 and certainly not daily but it's interesting watching this new start up and the response to it.

Currently 01:50 GMT. According to GB news live feed (Dewbs & Co)...its daylight on the "live" interview in St Albans....???
People milling about on the street also.

Currently 01:50 GMT. According to GB news live feed (Dewbs & Co)...its daylight on the "live" interview in St Albans....???
People milling about on the street also.
Fair enough doing a replay for those who were unable to watch it live but a note of some sort might be useful.
"This is a replay of a live show from" {date/time}

Fair enough doing a replay for those who were unable to watch it live but a note of some sort might be useful.
"This is a replay of a live show from" {date/time}
It all seems a bit “too much” amateur.
Surely it shouldn’t take some random bloke on a loosely based mil forum to spot this shit!,

Tinfoil hat time… sneaky fiver on the BBC actually bankrolling GB news…

It all seems a bit “too much” amateur.
Surely it shouldn’t take some random bloke on a loosely based mil forum to spot this shit!,

Tinfoil hat time… sneaky fiver on the BBC actually bankrolling GB news…
It's there to fill a void. Some of the roving reporters are better than others. I noticed Dan whipping off his earpiece lightning quick but it was caught by camera. Michelle made a point of mentioning technical issues.
That stuff happens. That said, I hope they haven't been infiltrated by hired mischief makers...

I’m not sure who the girl in the middle is but she’s got a fine pair of shoulders and mahoosive chebs.

26ABA865-1C46-4E36-9970-3BF28A78569D.jpeg

I watched some of the Great British Breakfast this morning. Sound is still very low - normal volume setting on my kitchen telly is 24 but i had to go to 40 for the studio chatter. Dubbing is still off in the studio so a bit like watching those old kung fu films from the 70s. As someone else has mentioned the presenters tend to talk over each other.

Maybe, but it has had some triumphs. Shameless, for example, was a must watch. Yes there's dross, but isn't there on every channel?
...and the biggest dollop of dross is c4 'news'' fronted by the odious snow - a presenter who has been observed to nail his apolitical stance by yelling, '**** the tories'. C4 should be self funding. Not a penny of public money should be used to subsidise this islington freak show..

Last edited:
Just now catching up on AN's evening show - which I recorded on its replay at midnight.

AN's editorial message at the start and interview with Steve Baker MP had lip-sync all good and proper. Volume still low.

However, the intervening VT of Boris's announcement still had a big off-set between sound and picture. How can they achieve that technically? With live stuff I suppose stuff happens, but having a recording out of sync when live is OK seems bonkers.

I still wish them well, but these issues and the basket ball teams of presenters are a strain.

PS - fell into Sky at one point yesterday and it was Beff. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhh

ETA - mid-way through they even lost studio pics during interview AN/Tom Harwood. Ticker and clock kept going, so another GBN issue.

Last edited:
I'm stealing that. My missus HATES Moose Women. She absolutely despises Claudia Winkelmann too. Our very expensive TV is in great peril at times.
Moose women, I’m pinching that, brilliant.

Refreshing to see the that GB News ratings beat BBC & Sky respectively.
Source:BARB

Possibly a serious challenger after all however it’s still too premature to summarise.

Moose women, I’m pinching that, brilliant.

Refreshing to see the that GB News ratings beat BBC & Sky respectively.
Source:BARB

Possibly a serious challenger after all however it’s still too premature to summarise.

if you look at the viewing numbers, what they shout out is the silent majority is quietly switching into GB News And there is feck all Sky or the BBC can do about it other than take to social media and in the case of the commercial channels, put pressure on advertisers, but advertisers will go where the views go.

I can’t stand Kate Burley by the way. Just saying

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Haven't had chance to see much of it. Shame to hear of the technical difficulties though. That kind of stuff is bread and butter and shouldn't be happening, except maybe the first ten minutes of the first broadcast.

On the other hand, a one-star review from The Guardian (big surprise, no)? condemning it all to hell because the upstarts dare to be different to BBC and C4.

One thing that review did get right is content - I think a lot of people want this channel to be brutal and to kick a lot of woke anthills over. I'm not getting the reaction I thought I would hear from my esteemed colleagues on this hallowed board.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
if you look at the viewing numbers, what they shout out is the silent majority is quietly switching into GB News And there is feck all Sky or the BBC can do about it other than take to social media and in the case of the commercial channels, put pressure on advertisers, but advertisers will go where the views go.

I can’t stand Kate Burley by the way. Just saying

Exactly this. If nothing else, if GB News folds (I hope it doesn't) I believe it might be the kick up the arrse that senior figures at the BBC need. On the other hand, if they were that aware, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Root and branch change would be far too difficult, so I suspect they will carry out plan B - full on smear campaign and/or try to shame advertisers.

Perhaps @bigeye can shed some light on the technical problems and also any gossip on the levels of paranoia that are setting in at the Biased Broadcasting Corporation?

Awol

LE
...and the biggest dollop of dross is c4 'news'' fronted by the odious snow - a presenter who has been observed to nail his apolitical stance by yelling, '**** the tories'. C4 should be self funding. Not a penny of public money should be used to subsidise this islington freak show..
It think it’s EU money, but yes, Snow and his odious, ‘look, I’m a real man because I am wearing a dirty t-shirt 15 feet below the surface in a wet Cornish mine’ son make otherwise potentially interesting programmes unwatchable.

Snow Junior was the main host on a really interesting programme about the Klondike gold rush. There’s a classic photo, taken in about 1890 showing about 1000 prospectors trudging up an almost vertical slope en-route to the gold fields, many carrying tents, supplies etc across their shoulders (one group, between them, actually carried a ship over the mountains, complete with steam engine).

A great documentary, a great subject and brilliantly made, but ruined by that massive ego, Dan Snow. I watched it because I like history, I like stories of survival against the odds and I like the gold thing, the idea that you can go from being penniless to being one of the richest people on earth in an afternoon, but always there was Snow in voiceover, ruining the whole thing.

Finally, near the end, one of the team’s archaeologists was asked by a cameraman, “where’s Dan?”, she replied “Probably outside in a vest, in a stream”.

He was outside, in a vest, in a stream.

Exactly this. If nothing else, if GB News folds (I hope it doesn't) I believe it might be the kick up the arrse that senior figures at the BBC need. On the other hand, if they were that aware, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Root and branch change would be far too difficult, so I suspect they will carry out plan B - full on smear campaign and/or try to shame advertisers.

The change management problems are not culture change issues. The issue they broadcast media has is more fundamental that that, and it’s an issue that’s common to the advertising and media sector. It’s a people issue. The sectors attract metropolitan luvvie types who are not just promoting the wokey snowflake agenda. They actually believe this shit and are in denial about the views and outlook or normal people (the silent majority).

In order to tackle the problem, the broadcast media companies would have to clean all employees out and start again, which is effectively what GB News has done - a clean sheet of paper and strong leadership.

I’m delighted to say, Sky, ITN and the BBC are fighting a losing battle. The people that are whinging would have to replace themselves.

Latest Threads