GB News - serious challenger to Aunty & SKY?

Check your settings, you should be able to turn off autocorrect.

Which is what I did ages ago - for this very reason.

Hence I sometimes spell things wrong.
I can live with that.
I just hate some ******* computer program 'correcting ' my words - substituting other words, and creating misunderstanding.

By all means call me a cnut for my opinions - but when a computer 'corrects' my words --- No.

They are a spelling mistake.

I got pissed off with Auto- correct ( or whatever its now called ) , turning words I had typed into the nearest words it .... understood ?

I would much rather live in a world where people can express themselves, in their own words, own spelling - including its mistakes - than have computers changing your words.

It was not your spellchecker. It was the spellchecker belonging to 'The Herald' site that you linked to. Or perhaps they were directly quoting something written by Mr Oliver himself and it is he who has the errant spellcheck facility.

Stop trying to take the credit.

Which is what I did ages ago - for this very reason.

Hence I sometimes spell things wrong.
I can live with that.
I just hate some ******* computer program 'correcting ' my words - substituting other words, and creating misunderstanding.

By all means call me a cnut for my opinions - but when a computer 'corrects' my words --- No.
It's even more annoying when you're trying to type in a foreign language.

It was not your spellchecker. It was the spellchecker belonging to 'The Herald' site that you linked to. Or perhaps they were directly quoting something written by Mr Oliver himself and it is he who has the errant spellcheck facility.

Stop trying to take the credit.

I switched off spellchecker or whatever it is called in Chrome Settings and down a bit and down a bit.
The annoying thing is .... every now and then an Update happens, without so much as a 'By your leave'.

Alarms ( for that Dental appointment ) .. gone.

Reminders ( niece's B'day )..... gone

I think I will ask for a Diary for Christmas ( do they still make them ? ) I know I can still write

I switched off spellchecker or whatever it is called in Chrome Settings and down a bit and down a bit.
The annoying thing is .... every now and then an Update happens, without so much as a 'By your leave'.

Alarms ( for that Dental appointment ) .. gone.

Reminders ( niece's B'day )..... gone

I think I will ask for a Diary for Christmas ( do they still make them ? ) I know I can still write

Mate, sit down and take a breath for a moment or you'll do yourself a mischief. I say again, it was not you. The error occurred in the article that you linked to. You know... that reputable and learned journal; The Glasgow Herald.

ETA: @hamper thinks I'm dumb for trying to put your mind at rest. He is not your friend.

Last edited:
Mate, sit down and take a breath for a moment or you'll do yourself a mischief. I say again, it was not you. The error occurred in the article that you linked to. You know... that reputable and learned journal; The Glasgow Herald.

Thank you for that.
Problem is - I will inevitably link to other articles in the future , that will incur the same result.

This reliance on computers as a solution to everything is wrong , always will be.

They are a useful tool when they work.

The 'kin idiot McCaffery still thinks it's Omnicron.
I keep thinking of it as Opticrom, as in the eye drops. Anne Widdecombe pronounces it "O micron" because that is what she was taught at school.

Anyway, onto how variants are named. Interesting to see that Xi, or Chinese president variant, wasn't used.

The good news is that it should be over shortly. There are only nine usable Greek letters left.

R0B

War Hero
Farage is now claiming that Plan B has been implemented to distract from partygate. :rolleyes:
Has he started having his pints too early? Daren McCaffery also disagrees. Is NF on political manoeuvres himself? Peter Bone also disagrees. Plan B was coming anyway. He feels that Boris is doing a good job but that there are people plotting against him.

It seems that GBNews have been Boris bashing for quite a while which makes them not much different to the BBC and Sky. Dan Wotton is winding me up. His program is a bit to shouty and whiney.

It seems that GBNews have been Boris bashing for quite a while which makes them not much different to the BBC and Sky. Dan Wotton is winding me up. His program is a bit to shouty and whiney.
I rarely watch Dan, although he sometimes gets interesting guests. He's just a bit too reactionary and excitable for my taste. The cloud of doom often takes part in the panel. The bloke that took on some of Dan's schedule isn't quite so shouty but I rarely watch the channel after 9pm. I saw a bit of Nana's show, on a Friday some time back. She was very good.

I prefer this when I get around to watching it:

If the only worthwhile press outlets or broadcasting media are those who heap praise on Boris, then I'm afraid you've just about run out of options, old chum.

Have you ever considered that there might not be an evil world conspiracy against your darling Boris and that he may actually be a hopeless chump? People are turning against him simply because they do not rate him and because, as each day passes, his shortcomings are becoming unavoidably obvious.

The left and remainers hate him because they are the left and remainers. But now many brexiteers and people right of centre have come to dislike him because he is a huge disappointment, he is not delivering the goods and he is becoming an embarrassment, a distraction and for an increasing number of tories, a threat to their position. Blame it on anyone else if it comforts you, but he is in trouble.

It should not be difficult to comprehend.

If the only worthwhile press outlets or broadcasting media are those who heap praise on Boris, then I'm afraid you've just about run out of options, old chum.

Have you ever considered that there might not be an evil world conspiracy against your darling Boris and that he may actually be a hopeless chump? People are turning against him simply because they do not rate him and because, as each day passes, his shortcomings are becoming unavoidably obvious.

The left and remainers hate him because they are the left and remainers. But now many brexiteers and people right of centre have come to dislike him because he is a huge disappointment, he is not delivering the goods and he is becoming an embarrassment, a distraction and for an increasing number of tories, a threat to their position. Blame it on anyone else if it comforts you, but he is in trouble.

Spot on.
He was an Election winner - no doubt about it. Thing is, he was gifted an easy victory.
Brexit was the dominant issue - Farage had done 95 % of the work already - all he had to do was travel around saying he would finish it.
The British people , including staunch Labour supporters , gave him their vote.
This was gifted also as the Labour alternative was like a bad day in an asylum.

For all his education and bonhomie - he is not steering the ship, and that is what is needed.

100% accurate.

I voted for Boris (like many of us). Even accepting that a lot of the government's energy has been taken up by Covid, he is doing badly.
His sense of judgment is poor. He is Liberal in some key areas where we need a Conservative. He has assembled a No. 10 team of lightweights after the adults were forced out by his missus.

He seems incapable or unwilling of summoning the energy that won him the GE.

Importantly, if pre election he tries to revive concerns about culture wars, the BBC, immigration, etc, no one will believe him. He's got a chance to act now and is doing very little.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Spot on.
He was an Election winner - no doubt about it. Thing is, he was gifted an easy victory.
Brexit was the dominant issue - Farage had done 95 % of the work already - all he had to do was travel around saying he would finish it.
The British people , including staunch Labour supporters , gave him their vote.
This was gifted also as the Labour alternative was like a bad day in an asylum.

For all his education and bonhomie - he is not steering the ship, and that is what is needed.
To borrow a phrase once used to describe Labour: there’s a difference between stormtroopers and occupying forces.

R0B

War Hero

Perhaps that didn't come out right. It's not really about finding a news channel that doesn't bash Boris, there's plenty I'd like to bash him for.

When it started it wasn't going to be all about the Westminster bubble like Sky and BBC and we got a lot of good news stories from around the UK. Lately it seems to be only about Westminster and the same depressing content as the BBC and Sky. Maybe it's just the slots that I get to see early evening.

To borrow a phrase once used to describe Labour: there’s a difference between stormtroopers and occupying forces.

I think something similar was alluded to by Dominic Cummings. He has made reference to a putative plan where Boris Johnson would have been assisted into the leadership of the tory party and the premiership and then assisted out of power once Brexit was in place.

A truly machievellian and bizarre plan and it is difficult to see how the second part could ever have been pulled off. However, it does serve to illustrate that although he was considered a useful and popular rallying point for the purposes of the Brexit campaign, he would soon become a liability if allowed to continue as leader beyond that point.

How true that has turned out to be.

They are a spelling mistake.

I got pissed off with Auto- correct ( or whatever its now called ) , turning words I had typed into the nearest words it .... understood ?

I would much rather live in a world where people can express themselves, in their own words, own spelling - including its mistakes - than have computers changing your words.

Ned Ludd doesn't know to like this post, but will fight anyone who does.

Latest Threads