Gazelle?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Bubbles_Barker, Dec 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't think we still had 'em in service and yet I've been overflown by one twice in a week. Once in Wales and once near Shaftesbury. Ours or some civvie?

2. Still have them in ltd service.

3. The Mighty Whistling Chicken Leg bravely soldiers on, huzzah!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yes, it seems there are still quiche-eaters out there.

5. I understand that a limited number will still be required for support to UK Ops and to make up any shortfall in Police avaiation capacity e.g. for reconnaissance of flooded areas. This is the elephant in the room regarding Mil SAR - these are miliary aircraft with a UK Ops role, which needn't just be used for SAR. It'll be interesting to see if there is any MoU between the DfT and MoD re. this or if the MoD will surge SH assets (minus Puma Mk 2, of course).

6. ...and there will be a shortfall in a year or so when they close 10 Air Support Units. :( :(

7. Overflown by one again today - Radnor Forest. Seemed to have double skids - normal ones and wide ones.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Still broad gauge railway in that neck of the woods?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The DS answer would be flotation gear. Never saw that on a green one.

10. All the time in Belize and in the Falklands IIRC.

11. I was out hunting the crash site of a Miles Martinet and the thing flew straight over me (180 degree different to the Martinet luckily for him). It was standard Green/Grey and had the wide skids on the outside of the normal ones. It scooted off in the direction of the Elan Valley which, if Selection is running explains everything. Couldn't see any markings as it was directly overhead. Didn't seem to whistle as much as I remember, maybe because it was shifting at max chat rather than hovering.

12. Never got to belize and operated scout in FI, so never seen. I've had a sheltered life...

• Like Like x 1
  13. There is plenty of Scout pics with flotation gear attached. Not seen any Gazelle though. At least within my google fu.