Gazelle withdrawn

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by deaks101, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since reading that 12 Flight AAC were to be disbanded (,I also read that The Gazelle helicopter was to be fully withdrawn from service by 2012.

I was just wondering if anyone knew which helicopter would be taking its place for recces?

2. The wonderful world of MoD savings will use the Chinook, Merlin and Pumas to carry the can for the Gazelle.

In the long run, the BRH (FLynx) will be the 'recce element' of the AAC orbat. The difference is, the Gazelle could carry more pax. ;)

You may find the Gazelle is kept in a little longer than 2012 as BRH isn't due in until 2014+.

7 Regt (and the Flts) were cheap as chips in comparison to what its going to cost to cover the gaps. They'll only discover that once its gone.
  3. Gutted. I served there 1992-1994 when it was RAF Bruggen (Javelin Bks that is). They kept that close to their chests. Would have been nice for a closing down ceremony.
  4. Early eighties, somewhere between us and RoI. Gazelle every day for a recce flight along the border. Brilliant. Up over the rocket screen, over the goal posts of the GAA pitch and out in a tight turn just in case they had anything to shoot us down with. Nothing in front of you except perspex... felt like you were flying. (Stabalized binos always made me feel sick, though.)

Good old Gazelle. Fast as f**k and sod all protection ! That was a recce machine.
  5. Stab binos now theres a puke from the past, I tried heli tele once and puked my ring

6. Stab binos, past??

Ok, no Gazelles and no GOAs. Lynx lost its TOW role a few years ago and subsequently lost all its TOW sights. What do you think is used to look at things slightly further away?

Yes, prat at the back.... Stab binos! Still use them. 8O
  7. That Finestron tail rotor does for me every time.. :p
  8. We should take a leaf out of the septics book and buy something like the UH 72 Lakota, though I'd base it off the EC635
  9. Buy it with what? Chocolate coins?

AH has made us skint, BRH has meant that we are hooked up to Westland for the next 30 years and the crabs are fighting both the FAA and the AAC for their assets. The chances of us getting a useful platform on top of what we have is slimmer than Amy Winhouses flange lips.
  10. You're wierd but I can understand...she was French and had that "je ne sais quoi." I loved 'em.

(Edit: That was a reply to FNUSNU)
  11. Surely Flashy 7 Regt and the Gazelles are going because their pilots are all Holiday Airline types who only fly on the odd weekend to keep their commissions and themselves attractive to women. I know this because many regular S/Sgts (ground crew) in the AAC have told me so.

Most of the 7 Regt pilots I have met are Police/Air ambulance/Oil Rig cabbies and not officers, but why let the truth get in the way of perfectly reasonable prejudice.

Seriously 7 Regt did a good job for the AAC. It handled a lot of ass and trash jobs that the Regs were too busy or too knackered to do and took a lot of pressure off the regular pilots whilst still maintaining a service. What will happen now is either the AAC will turn down tasks and piss off very senior people or accept tasks and piss off pilots.

12. You're quite right (regarding the SNCO side too). 7 Regt took up an awful lot of tasking that the regular Regts counld't. Some perceive the TA Regt and Flts as just 'Generals Taxi Service' but in the past few years its been far from that. Their tasking has taken the strain off not only the AAC but the RAF too. For example, day NVG recces. There is a requirement in peace time to carry out recces of NVG routes. It doesn't matter what type of aircraft carries it out as its just confirming that a low level route is clear of obstructions. Of late, the Gazelles have been used in this task. Now they are gone, Chinooks, Merlins, Lynx and Apaches have to carry out their own recces. You may say 'its still flying so has good training value'. Not really. Depending on the route, the task could take 1 half hours or so. Thats 1 1/2 hours that could be spent doing CTT, CTR or PDT for those valuable assets.

Gazelles cost virtually nothing to operate. The plan was that all Gazelles go. But its become a false economy. Because we are still keeping a handful of Gazelles, we still have a burden of cost in the spares, maintenance and the training chain. So it makes very little difference if we had 4 Gazelles or 40 Gazelles in service. You still need those lines in place. The argument that has pretty much killed the Gazelle is the fact that it can't be deployed operationally any more. With that against it, it can't justify itself at the table hence it being binned. How much money will be saved? Certainly not the amount of money that will be spent by other platforms filling its place. Gazelle costs about £1200 an hour to operate (very rough guestimate). How much does an Apache cost? Or a Chinook? With most units (RAF and AAC) almost constantly either deployed or carrying out PDT, who is going to support the rest of the field army carrying out their tasks? Who's going to do the ABFAC? AOP? Liaison? Great if its connected to PDT but not if its non PDT centric. Remember, the British Army is still going about its usual business of exercises and the like.
  13. "Remember, the British Army is still going about its usual business of exercises and the like."

It certainly is.
    And now with our old 'Friends' close over the water kicking off again big time, 2 dead 4 wounded, just how much will be needed to deploy over there ?
    Probably cheaper to just hand it all over for we certainly don't have the troops or equipment for another Op Banner or whatever it will be called this time.
  14. The Gazelles from 7 Reg were also key to providing a swift response to the Gloucester floods. Providing overflights of the area to Key figures in Gold Command allowed them to comprehend and deal quicker with a number of critical issues.
    BT were able to check mobile towers for accessability and keep the network up.

The Gazelles' support to the C4I function was critical.