Gazelle to be phased out?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by SheepJumpFish, Dec 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope to join the army and eventually the air corps to become a pilot and when I looked on a wikipedia article showing the number of aircraft in the RAF, AAC and FAA it said the Gazelle was to be phased out. I have not seen anything to suggest it is going to be phased out and when having a quick browse on google did not see anything difinitive, saying when it will be phased out by or if they will all be phased out,
    could anyone give me a difinitive answer?
    Thanks for all relevant and helpful responses

this is the wiki link I mention, I know wikipedia isn't that reliable but it is a source of lots of information
  2. Definitive? Gaz has practically gone. Your chances of flying a green one are nil - but the AAC is under no obligation to keep wikipedia up to date.

Now, go out and get pissed - no self respecting pilot is posting at 2100 on Dec 31st!

(I'm out m'self now)

3. Except those that are at work!

4. Another fortnight and this lot will be getting a new owner:

5. Now, go out and get pissed - no self respecting pilot is posting at 2100 on Dec 31st!

Might I also point out that you were on even later on that same night apparently not pissed yet, but thanks for the response any way, you as good as answered my question confirming what I had thought
  6. That's just the kind of cheeky, chippy comment that explains your interest in flying the screaming chicken leg. Do you eat salad a lot?
  7. I have been known to eat salad on occasion
  8. Probably best if you kept that to yourself...quiche too I expect.. :wink: :wink:

9. What makes me chuckle is that most Army Pilots (By default, Wings 1974 - late 90's) are either current or uncurrent Gazelle jockies !

Those who were wings with Squirrel as the basic trainer, having never flown the Gazelle, are simply jealous and aren't even entitled to make such remarks. As for the thought that non-pilots would come in on the discussion, how rude that would be!

Hope you're all having a good New Year so far.
  10. God I feel old, I can remember when pilots trained on Hillers
  11. I'm not saying you're old, but is there any truth in the rumour you knew Pontius when he was groundcrew?
  12. Is the Gazelle being replaced?
  13. Yep, by Lynx Wildcat, sorry it's just 'Wildcat' nowadays - which is too big, too slow and although it has a good sensor suite, won't really be available in anywhere near enough numbers.

The Yank's make something called the 'Kiowa Warrior' which would be a far more sensible option IMHO now that their Light Battlefield Helicopter program has been cut.
  14. Could the Gazelle be used to augment Police aviation?
  15. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

hahahhahhahahahhhahahahahahahahahahhahhahaaaaa :D