Gaz Bennett AAC - In memorium

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by HEMS, Sep 3, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is with regret that I must pass on the news that Gaz Bennett, formerly AAC, has passed away suddenly.

I have been flying with Gaz on a HEMS unit for the past couple of years and am aware he has a lot of mates still in.  

There is already a thread running on PPRuNe, which I have pasted here, but I've seen Gaz checking arrse regularly so I'm sure he'd like you all to know.

The text below says it all really.  Gaz will be sadly missed by all on the unit.

Thanks from all crew and patients of "The Big Red One"

It is with the deepest regret that I pass on the tragic news that Gaz Bennett, late AAC, has passed away suddenly.

Gaz was out jogging near his home in Worcestershire last Friday, when he collapsed with a brain haemorrhage. His wishes were respected in that his organs have been donated, and he was pronounced dead on Saturday morning. He was 42. He leaves a wife, Sara, and two sons, Adam and Sam.

Gaz was a Royal Artillery Lance Bombardier who went on to become a well respected Lynx Pilot and Aircraft Commander. Those who knew him in 655 would recall that he was 'Mr RNS252', and always willing to help those new to the beastie.

He left the service two years ago, and was flying for the County Air Ambulance, twin based at both Strensham Services on the M5, and at RAF Cosford.

The funeral is on Friday 6 September, at Birlingham Parish Church, Nr Pershore in Worcestershire, at 1215. Again, Gaz's wishes were known in that he did not want any military uniforms at his funeral - please respect that if you do wish to attend and pay your respects. All are welcome. Sara, his wife, has asked that flowers come from family only; however there will be a collection in the church in aid of the County Air Ambulance.

For the geographically non-gifted, take J7 on the M5 (if coming from the North) and follow A44 SE'ly to Pershore. Then take A4014 SW'ly towards Defford. Take a left turn onto the B4080, and Birlingham is a left turn shortly after joining that road. From South, take J8 M5, J1 M50, N on A38, right onto A4014 towards Pershore, then as above.
  2. :( Sad new to hear that a good man has passed on.  I flew with Gaz as a Door Gunner on 655 Sqn in the early 90's.  Gaz and Sara were kind enough to share their Christmas with me one year, a measure of the man and his family.  Gaz was a good pilot, and a great man, and I'm not surprized by the job he took on leaving the Corps.  God bless you Gaz Bennett in that place where you have gone, and bless you family too.  Blue Skies Mate!
  3. As previous entry on PPRUNE,

Easily one of the kindest folk ive met in the Corps.