Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gay roles for gay actors

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've skimmed the thread. I see no mention of how many straight roles will be off-limits to gays if this became a thing and only straight actors could play straight roles because of equality.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've skimmed the thread. I see no mention of how many straight roles will be off-limits to gays if this became a thing and only straight actors could play straight roles because of equality.

that would be homophobic (or an ecumenical matter)

James Dreyfuss (the chap from Rowan Atkinson's Thin Blue Line and Mount Pleasant) has criticised the idea. James Dreyfus criticises Russell T Davies Over Gay Typecasting. (forgive paywall)

I have to say that The Times might have formatted the first line a bit better, though...

1610473180959.png

Russell T Davies ruined Torchwood because he turned it from being a sci-fi programme into a gay love story.

Russell T Davies ruined Torchwood because he turned it from being a sci-fi programme into a gay love story.

It was more the move to America to chase money for the BBC, and the dire plots that followed, a bit like the short lived US Dr Who with Paul McGann, he could have been a decent doctor, but the yanks produced and ruined it

The gay lovefest wasn't a surprise considering Russell T Davies, I think they simply stopped caring about the viewers

Besides that welsh bird with the big tits made it watchable up till then

It was more the move to America to chase money for the BBC, and the dire plots that followed, a bit like the short lived US Dr Who with Paul McGann, he could have been a decent doctor, but the yanks produced and ruined it

The gay lovefest wasn't a surprise considering Russell T Davies, I think they simply stopped caring about the viewers

Besides that welsh bird with the big tits made it watchable up till then

Russell T Davies lobs in a ‘controversial’ comment that everyone knows is nonsense, and stands well back prior to the showing of his latest work. The resulting publicity shows he’s played a blinder.

That’s all there is to it.

Mbongwe

Crow
After 30-40 years of UK society shifting towards a mindset in which one's career and opportunities aren't defined by one's ethnicity or sexual orientation, a disruptive vocal minority want to revert to square one, but using a different rationale...

After 30-40 years of UK society shifting towards a mindset in which one's career and opportunities aren't defined by one's ethnicity or sexual orientation, a disruptive vocal minority want to revert to square one, but using a different rationale...
"but using a different rationale..."

And no lube.

TamH70

MIA
The precedent was set in 2001 with the movie "I am Sam", where they cast the mentally retarded Sean Penn to play a window licker.
He went full retard, and didn't win the Oscar.

It also assumes that every gay person is stereotypically gay - whatever that is.

I've plenty of gay friends, and usually my radar is pretty good.

A couple of years back, I was having a couple of beers with a mate, Jon. He's a tall, scruffy, beer-swilling, football-watching one of the lads.

In walks a bloke with Jon's dog on a lead. Jon turns to me and says, "This is Richard, my partner."

Until that point, I'd had no idea - and it doesn't matter a jot. Jon is just a bloke.

So, where does this assertion about 'authenticity' come from?

Once again, identity politics is guilty of the prejudices it claims to be victim of.

Exactly. It chases its own tail, doesn't it?*

*Typed in innocence; no doubt this is a physical act of some description.
Had a similar response from a mate I used to work with, Yorkshire born and bred, loved his beer and could happily spend all day talking about the finer points of cricket or the chances of Sheffield Wednesday in the cup.

I knew he was gay, he never made any secret of the fact, and one day we were chatting and he mentioned some domestic problem he was having with his partner, to do with their respective incomes or something, can't remember, we went for a few ales and I tried to help him out with some advice.

To lighten the atmosphere I then made a joke, "You know Steve, you must be the worst gay-best-friend ever. You dress worse than I do [and that was saying something], you never give me useful interior design suggestions and now I even have to give you relationship advice. I have watched all those American TV programmes and I know what gay best friends are supposed to be like and you are shite at it."

He supped his pint, and replied deadpan, "That's cuz ah'm gay, ah'm not a bloody puff".

One ship I was on, back in the days when man-love was forbidden, was a PO Chef who was camper than a field full of Boy Scout tents and made Alan Carr look butch.

Turned out he was married with two kids.
Further to my post above, I had some consultancy work to do at a school, it involved training the staff, almost all women except for one bloke, immaculately coiffed hair, always wore crisply starched two-tone shirts, he would camp it up like billy-oh whenever I came in, coy looks, arched eye-brows, risque comments, the whole works, I think he was deliberately trying to get a reaction out of me, and he would always have the ladies in peals of laughter.

I mentioned to Steve (above) that the bloke annoyed me. I had no problem with his being gay but did he have to always try to camp it up all the freaking time? Steve said, "He's not gay, he's happily married with four kids, he just puts on that persona because he works with all those women and it's his way of getting by, trust me, not the least bit gay, I know".

I think that annoyed me even more, to be honest.

Latest Threads