Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gay roles for gay actors

1610462074824.png

4(T)

LE
A lot of expert knowledge here on Arrse, as usual...

...wait,.... Arrse?... I know I'm a bit slow, but have I been under a misapprehension about the site name all these years?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I haven't watched EastEnders for decades. But, I remember serial womanizer, David Wicks. Played by gay actor Michael French. I don't know if he is still in or not. But if the character returns, shouldn't a straight actor take over the part.

His on-screen mother, Pat, was also with different men at different times. Played by lesbian Pam St Clement.

View attachment 538628View attachment 538629

But they were all shit, so maybe there is something in this after all

I haven't watched EastEnders for decades. But, I remember serial womanizer, David Wicks. Played by gay actor Michael French. I don't know if he is still in or not. But if the character returns, shouldn't a straight actor take over the part.

His on-screen mother, Pat, was also with different men at different times. Played by lesbian Pam St Clement.

View attachment 538628View attachment 538629
An expert on soap operas, poof

Four pages in and Jarrod is noticeably quiet. Is he waiting for someone to mention Witty in the Wild Geese remake
I understand that one of @jarrod248 's lifetime ambitions is to play the rear half of a pantomime donkey with Brian Blessed as the front.

Last edited:
Behind The Candelabra was a great film because it was straight actors playing the roles. Hollywood did the film a favour by not funding it because they viewed it as too gay. If made in todays climate, would be a pathetic waste of finances

3ToedSloth

War Hero
It's the only way to ensure authenticity, apparently.

Is this going to stop gay actors/actresses playing straight roles, then? That's going to be very difficult for some - and not just those who remain in the closet (can I say that in 2021?).

I mean, I wouldn't want to suggest prejudice from minority elements; such as the fall-off in audience support for Will and Grace when it was revealed that Eric McCormack, a straight, was playing Will. Equally, I was appalled when people turned their backs on Ellen DeGeneres's chat show when it was revealed that she is - who'd have guessed - a lesbian.

(We won't mention the zone of silence which descended chez Cold_Collation when he suggested to his partner that her new short hair was a little Clare Balding... I digress.)

Ultimately, the only person allowed to play anyone in a film which is based on factual events is going to be the person themselves. That would have knackered Robert Hardy for his many portrayals of Churchill (and Gary Oldman, for that matter).

We'd better start digging up some bones and applying some very high voltages.

Or is this all - gasp - just nonsense?
Any ideas why Russell T Davies would make such a controversial public statement when he's got a new show out on channel 4 shortly?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
They have done a remake of Rocky Horror, I've not managed to watch the whole thing but the lead was taken (roughly from behind I suspect) by someone 'qualified' for the role

ironically listed on IMDB as an actress, which I thought was a sexist term. Maybe it's different if you've become a female rather than being born one?

One ship I was on, back in the days when man-love was forbidden, was a PO Chef who was camper than a field full of Boy Scout tents and made Alan Carr look butch.

Turned out he was married with two kids.

They have done a remake of Rocky Horror, I've not managed to watch the whole thing but the lead was taken (roughly from behind I suspect) by someone 'qualified' for the role

ironically listed on IMDB as an actress, which I thought was a sexist term. Maybe it's different if you've become a female rather than being born one?
"She is also the first openly transgender person to have a wax figure of herself at Madame Tussauds."

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It's the only way to ensure authenticity, apparently.

Is this going to stop gay actors/actresses playing straight roles, then? That's going to be very difficult for some - and not just those who remain in the closet (can I say that in 2021?).

I mean, I wouldn't want to suggest prejudice from minority elements; such as the fall-off in audience support for Will and Grace when it was revealed that Eric McCormack, a straight, was playing Will. Equally, I was appalled when people turned their backs on Ellen DeGeneres's chat show when it was revealed that she is - who'd have guessed - a lesbian.

(We won't mention the zone of silence which descended chez Cold_Collation when he suggested to his partner that her new short hair was a little Clare Balding... I digress.)

Ultimately, the only person allowed to play anyone in a film which is based on factual events is going to be the person themselves. That would have knackered Robert Hardy for his many portrayals of Churchill (and Gary Oldman, for that matter).

We'd better start digging up some bones and applying some very high voltages.

Or is this all - gasp - just nonsense?
Alternatively get good actors.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can't believe (it's not butter) that this hasn't been posted yet

Four pages in and Jarrod is noticeably quiet. Is he waiting for someone to mention Witty in the Wild Geese remake

Well George Takei was in a war movie with the butch heterosexual John Wayne...

I can't believe (it's not butter) that this hasn't been posted yet

Good acting from John Cleese, not known for his love of his love of having more than one sausage

Also , ironically in a television interview in which Graham Chapman mentioned that he was gay, the Pythons received a letter from an enraged woman who said she heard an "anonymous" member of Monty Python had confessed to being gay.

She enclosed several pages of prayers for his salvation and said that if he repeated them every single day he might acquire some form of purgatory

Eric Idle replied to her saying that they had found out who it was and had stoned him

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads