Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gay roles for gay actors

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's the only way to ensure authenticity, apparently.

Is this going to stop gay actors/actresses playing straight roles, then? That's going to be very difficult for some - and not just those who remain in the closet (can I say that in 2021?).

I mean, I wouldn't want to suggest prejudice from minority elements; such as the fall-off in audience support for Will and Grace when it was revealed that Eric McCormack, a straight, was playing Will. Equally, I was appalled when people turned their backs on Ellen DeGeneres's chat show when it was revealed that she is - who'd have guessed - a lesbian.

(We won't mention the zone of silence which descended chez Cold_Collation when he suggested to his partner that her new short hair was a little Clare Balding... I digress.)

Ultimately, the only person allowed to play anyone in a film which is based on factual events is going to be the person themselves. That would have knackered Robert Hardy for his many portrayals of Churchill (and Gary Oldman, for that matter).

We'd better start digging up some bones and applying some very high voltages.

Or is this all - gasp - just nonsense?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Is this going to stop gay actors/actresses playing straight roles, then? That's going to be very difficult for some - and not just those who remain in the closet (can I say that in 2021?).

I mean, I wouldn't want to suggest prejudice from minority elements; such as the fall-off in audience support for Will and Grace when it was revealed that Eric McCormack, a straight, was playing Will. Equally, I was appalled when people turned their backs on Ellen DeGeneres's chat show when it was revealed that she is - who'd have guessed - a lesbian.

(We won't mention the zone of silence which descended chez Cold_Collation when he suggested to his partner that her new short hair was a little Clare Balding... I digress.)

Ultimately, the only person allowed to play anyone in a film which is based on factual events is going to be the person themselves. That would have knackered Robert Hardy for his many portrayals of Churchill (and Gary Oldman, for that matter).

so the definition of acting is no longer something along the lines of;

Acting is an activity in which a story is told by means of its enactment by an actor or actress who adopts a character—in theatre, television, film, radio, or any other medium that makes use of the mimetic mode.

incidentally even attempting to be a bit gay can upset some

I think it is a great move - Gay roles to be played by gays...

Presidents / Prime Ministers to be played by Presidents and Prime Ministers

Murderers to be played by murderers, Lawyers to be played by lawyers, firefighters, policemen, doctors, nurses, patients... etc

Oh, historical white characters by BAME actors.

It really is only way to ensure authenticity...

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think it is a great move - Gay roles to be played by gays...

Presidents / Prime Ministers to be played by Presidents and Prime Ministers

Murders to be played by murderers, Lawyers to be played by lawyers, firefighters, policemen, doctors, nurses, patients... historical white characters by BAME actors.

It really is only way to ensure authenticity...

I've got a list of people who I'd like to play the role of murder victim...

So, if gay actors don't land gay roles, they're being discriminated against, and if they do get them, they're being stereotyped because of their sexuality.:rolleyes:

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The TV programme 'Modern Family' featured gay couple Cameron Tucker and Mitchell Pritchett played by Eric Stonestreet (The tubby one) and Jesses Tyler Ferguson. In real life Stonestreet is straight and his co star says Stonestreet is "gay for pay". A cracking expression I'm patiently waiting to drop into conversation whenever we are allowed to socialize again.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The TV programme 'Modern Family' featured gay couple Cameron Tucker and Mitchell Pritchett played by Eric Stonestreet (The tubby one) and Jesses Tyler Ferguson. In real life Stonestreet is straight and his co star says Stonestreet is "gay for pay". A cracking expression I'm patiently waiting to drop into conversation whenever we are allowed to socialize again.

google the phrase, but don't click on any videos

Apocryphal maybe, but Olivier's apparent view on the general subject of acting vs the 'lived experience'

As legend has it, Olivier (a classically trained stage actor) and Hoffman had the following exchange during the shoot of Marathon Man.

“How did your week go, dear boy,” Olivier said.

Hoffman told him that he had filmed a scene in which his character was supposed to have been up for three days straight.

“So what did you do?” Olivier asked.

“Well, I stayed up for three days and three nights.”

Laurence Olivier then uttered this famous line, “Why don’t you just try acting?”

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It also assumes that every gay person is stereotypically gay - whatever that is.

I've plenty of gay friends, and usually my radar is pretty good.

A couple of years back, I was having a couple of beers with a mate, Jon. He's a tall, scruffy, beer-swilling, football-watching one of the lads.

In walks a bloke with Jon's dog on a lead. Jon turns to me and says, "This is Richard, my partner."

Until that point, I'd had no idea - and it doesn't matter a jot. Jon is just a bloke.

So, where does this assertion about 'authenticity' come from?

Once again, identity politics is guilty of the prejudices it claims to be victim of.
So, if gay actors don't land gay roles, they're being discriminated against, and if they do get them, they're being stereotyped because of their sexuality.:rolleyes:
Exactly. It chases its own tail, doesn't it?*

*Typed in innocence; no doubt this is a physical act of some description.

The director didn't pick you, did he? Look, there'll be other chorus lines, don't lose hope mate.

Apocryphal maybe, but Olivier's apparent view on the general subject of acting vs the 'lived experience'

As legend has it, Olivier (a classically trained stage actor) and Hoffman had the following exchange during the shoot of Marathon Man.

“How did your week go, dear boy,” Olivier said.

Hoffman told him that he had filmed a scene in which his character was supposed to have been up for three days straight.

“So what did you do?” Olivier asked.

“Well, I stayed up for three days and three nights.”

Laurence Olivier then uttered this famous line, “Why don’t you just try acting?”

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It also assumes that every gay person is stereotypically gay - whatever that is.

I've plenty of gay friends, and usually my radar is pretty good.

A couple of years back, I was having a couple of beers with a mate, Jon. He's a tall, scruffy, beer-swilling, football-watching one of the lads.

In walks a bloke with Jon's dog on a lead. Jon turns to me and says, "This is Richard, my partner."

Until that point, I'd had no idea - and it doesn't matter a jot. Jon is just a bloke.

So, where does this assertion about 'authenticity' come from?

Once again, identity politics is guilty of the prejudices it claims to be victim of.

Exactly. It chases its own tail, doesn't it?*

*Typed in innocence; no doubt this is a physical act of some description.

I used to work in that there London, one of the guys on the admin team was screamingly gay.
He made John Inman look like Rambo.
Occasionally he'd let the mask slip and he behaved like a normal human being - he once admitted it was hard work keeping up the camp act but he'd been doing it for so long he didn't know how to be anything else.

Not long ago many people felt they had to hide their gay nature, not become a parody of it

RedDinger

Old-Salt
How are they going to prove they are gay? By shagging the director? I can see a whole new #metoo coming.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

It's simply a woke bellend advancing a view that he hasn't thought through properly and espousing principles that would probably see him lynched if they were fairly and universally applied to the acting profession - which may actually be a good argument for adopting them.

As Fisher Ames said and Davies has proved: "Few can reason, all can feel.".

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
On the other hand, can we have white people playing black characters and vice versa?

I'm looking forward to seeing Charles Hawtry play Mohammed Ali and Whoopi Goldberg play Margaret Thatcher.

Not long ago many people felt they had to hide their gay nature, not become a parody of it
Look at Alan Carr v Graham Norton, and how they present that. Norton for all his faults actually comes across as a gay bloke who is happy in his skin...Carr has to flaunt it, act up the campness to such a degree you would never get tired of kicking him.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Thinking on, aren't there a few legal wrinkles involved in making someone's sexuality a condition of employment?

Latest Threads