Gay Marine...

Too much sitting around and playing my guitar led my mind to wander. I began to question why I was doing this, and what I had really been trained for. I realised that I was a pacifist and that I did not want to follow orders. I considered a commission, for which I had been singled out during training, but felt that I no more wanted to give orders than to take them. I wanted to travel the world, but wielding a guitar rather than a rifle, and marching alone rather than in single file.
He has to be monumentally stupid to have only discovered this after he'd completed training. :oops:

what a tit, isn't it one of those things that men are supposed to stick by their word?

Only another 2855 corps members to come clean now....

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't know why the guardian choose to publish this rather grubby tale. Perhaps part of their general anti-military bias. Marines as Homophobes blah blah.

One wonders why he did not come forward as a conscientious objector, which is what he is trying to give the impression that he was. Maybe he lacked the moral courage to do that just as he lacked the integrity to complete the commitment he made before he joined and before the tax payer wasted a significant amount of money on him and before the CTC staff wasted a significant amount of time on him.

I think we are supposed to read this story and feel sympathy. I feel none. I feel contempt.

Is there anyone out there in Arrseland who could tell a similar story of doubt and difficulty but has gone on to have positive time in the military perhaps you could submit it to the guardian and see if they will publish.

BuggerAll said:
I don't know why the guardian choose to publish this rather grubby tale. Perhaps part of their general anti-military bias. Marines as Homophobes blah blah.

One wonders why he did not come forward as a conscientious objector, which is what he is trying to give the impression that he was. Maybe he lacked the moral courage to do that just as he lacked the integrity to complete the commitment he made before he joined and before the tax payer wasted a significant amount of money on him and before the CTC staff wasted a significant amount of time on him.

I think we are supposed to read this story and feel sympathy. I feel none. I feel contempt.
Init, shame he wasn't fisted while he was "Locked away"

BuggerAll said:

Which is ironic considering your user name is Bugger All? :D :D

[align=justify]"But in those moments when I look back and feel some anguish there is always one memory that makes me smile. It is the laughter on the faces of the men on the front gate as I drove to freedom in my bright pink camper van."[/align]

I think his choice of vehicle says it all - although, to be fair, that would probably have supported his discharge on the drugs option aswell.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
TheBigUn said:
BuggerAll said:

Which is ironic considering your user name is Bugger All? :D :D
Wots that you say Big Boy? :oops:

He did not seem to mind making false accusations about other marines threatening him. He is a complete waster.

bitterandtwisted said:
Only another 2855 corps members to come clean now....
They keep saying, it's not gay it's male bonding.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The reminds me of something was told by a former commandant of the RMP TC. again in the 90's. The school had received an letter alleging that a trainee was Gay. It was purportedly from an ex-boyfriend. The Colonel had the trainee concerned marched in. Dismissed the RSM sat him down and asked him if he was gay.

When he replied yes they had a brief discussion about the fact that at that time homosexuality was incompatible with military service. The Colonel thanked him for his willingness to serve, told him that he was on leave pending discharge, arranged for him to have discharge medical. Told him he was welcome to tell his comrades whatever he wanted and was welcome to visit the RMPTC as a guest if any of his friends invited him.

The reason the Colonel was telling the tale was about bullying and moral courage and integrity. I'm just contrasting it with the grubby tale in the Guardian.

He should be prosecuted for avoiding his service. There must be something in the Navy Act that covers it.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
hogspawn said:
He should be prosecuted for avoiding his service. There must be something in the Navy Act that covers it.
Perhaps that's why he lacked the integrity to publish the tale under his own name.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I was actually reading the paper a few minutes ago when I stumbled across that article. To be fair there's no tales of ill-treatment, just taunting from some of his fellow marines.
...yet despite the taunts, those who mattered - notably my troop sergeant - treated me with kindness. ... For all the name-calling I suffered, I remember most of my comrades as loyal and courageous and generous.
And of course there's his own summary:

I actually feel some shame for what I did. My life has been a bit of a mess since I left, as it turns out, and the pious among us would no doubt have something to say about that.

RP578 said:
I was actually reading the paper a few minutes ago when I stumbled across that article. To be fair there's no tales of ill-treatment, just taunting from some of his fellow marines.
...yet despite the taunts, those who mattered - notably my troop sergeant - treated me with kindness. ... For all the name-calling I suffered, I remember most of my comrades as loyal and courageous and generous.
And of course there's his own summary:

I actually feel some shame for what I did. My life has been a bit of a mess since I left, as it turns out, and the pious among us would no doubt have something to say about that.
Only HA HA YOU MUPPET!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Aviation 39
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 11
Gunner_ear Sappers 17