Gavyn Davies falls on his sword

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sandy_boots, Jan 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC boss Davies takes responsibility for BBC failings according to Hutton and does the right thing

A lesson for Hoon methinks

2. Shame Blair will never do the same :( as for Hoon :evil:

3. will be interesting to see which of Tone's mates take over wonder if that's what Campbell was promised when he resigned.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

LOL!!!

I fail to see what a resignation from the top does to improve the situation, surely the answer is to sack the journos, the editors, etc that were involved in the production of the lie in the first place.

5. Sorry Happy, is The Sun or The Times your primary news source? 8O

By all means, sack/suspend Gilligan , possibly even his Boss too , but the report is bent.

How Paxman resisted banging Campbell in the mouth, I have no idea.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13867528_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-NOW%2DBLAIR%2DMUST%2DTELL%2DTRUTH%2DON%2DWMD-name_page.html

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=485689

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/kelly/story/0,13747,1134234,00.html

But Boris Johnson, as ever. made me laugh myself sick

6. Huttons report was a joke.

Tony Blair will not be the next Prime Minister, New Labour will not be the next government with Tony Blair as party leader.

Gulf II and tuition fees have sealed that coffin.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

PTP,

It's always been a fascination of mine as to why it might be that the head of a dept. gets sacked for something that he probably didn't even know was going on.

Two examples:

(1) If the policy, methods and so forth of an organisation is set by the man at the top (think Robert Maxwell advertising and so forth for the Mirror) then they are set to be the focus for blame and praise for that organisation.

(2) If the policy, methods and so forth of a news organisation is set by the organisation itself (think BBC, think a 100 years of independence) then the failure of a particular dept. has to be blamed on the dept. for not following the corporate line.

And that is why more heads should have rolled. I might also add that a friend is a very principalled producer of a well known BBC show you probably have all watched at some point and feels that they are a little let down by the tabloid news reporting style now in evidence throughout the BBC.

And because I like starting sentences with an And and because I'm on a bit of a rant I would add the the BBC is choc-a-bloc of pinko tree huggers who want us to give all our nuclear weapons to Africa or something....

And the quality of news reportng on BBC world is crap - I might add. It makes CNN look professional!

8. M/monkey - Certainly hope so,but are there still enough deluded muppets around who'll still vote for them "Because me Dad did" ?

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I suspect you're wrong. I suspect the failure of a credible oppposition will leave everyone at home and the 30% of the population who do turn out will vote for New Labour, The Liberals, The SNP and The BNP in that order.

Stunning isn't it, all the Tories need is a leader with personality strength, some witty lines, and a super model girlfriend to win. IF Hugh Grant had an opinion he could be PM if he tried.

10. Happy,

I am in the quite priveleged position, of being able to see News 24 , CNN, Fcux News, Euro News all running simultaneously. Though I admit, invariably the Fucx news channel alternates with Cartoon Network, but Euro News, has come on leaps and bounds in the last year, especially their "No comment" section.

The BBC, for all it's faults, is simply the best News service in the world. The tabloid style, is undoubtedly a Dyke-ism, and was implemented, primairily, to expolit the BBC's massive growth in US viewing, during Gulf II. Personally, I think it was a mistake. The reason the BBC gained such a massive following, was because it was an in depth service.It's other strength, is/was it didn't tow the party line.

But, Dyke felt that the BBC had to go head to head with CNN , MSNBC, Fcux and the rest. Then again, it's not that popular in certain quarters in Israel and the US. The BBC is not one journalist. Yes they backed their journalist, mistakenly as it turned out, but they still backed him, and that sends an important message to their staff. As the Hutton report has been published, the BBC has moved to make what apologies it feels it needs to, and to get it's procedures in order.

The vast majority of the Press this morning, even those with a traditional axe to grind against the BBC, are saying "Whitewash". It is. The moment Hutton annonuced that the WMD issue , was not going to be covered in his report, I realised just why the report was late. That must have been a hell of a re-write t the 11th hour.

I expect to see Campbell back in his post shortly, and the Good Lord Hutton given a very nice consultancy in News International , or the Lord Advocates office, sometime in the next 6 months.

The general feeling, is this report, by virtue of the narrow parameters placed upon it, is bent. I am being kind.

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

PTP, Roger your points. Agree most.

Suspect the slow destruction of BBC news quality is down to journo's only getting paid a few '000 pounds per year or something so anyone that knows how to pronounce the leader of Georgia's name correctly isn't going to work for the BBC. Personally I blame the decison to allow regionally accented news presenters to work for the organisation. ****ing scotsmen telling me about a giant egg in East Anglia or a damned Scouse reporting on the weather in London. Who do they think they are???

Absolutely agree re whitewashed report by it's leaving stuff out. It's something I do in my civjob, if somethings going to fail or look bad and you can't fix it, just de-scope it.

12. what i mean is will Bliar be vindictive and give the board of govs job o campbell.

The next apointee is going to have a real hard time establshing credibility that he isn't NO10/Millbank yes man

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I once worked for a man called David, David was the character upon whom David from the series The Office was based.

By which I mean it is possible to find such hard-chinned-don't-give-a-fcuk-about-what-you-think-of-me characters, and I suspect the labour party has it's fair share.

If you were a party member and could get promoted several rungs up and all you had to do was promote party policy (which you blindly approve of) through the BBC and all your colleagues hated you but that's OK 'cos you'll be governor of the BBC you'd go wouldn't you....

14. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3441181.stm

Hutton has achieved what he set out to do, and now the smoke and mirrors have started to clear, the BBC has just woken up to the realisation, it's been had. Had in spectacular fashion.

A Hypothetical view

How can you regain control of your mouthpiece? After all , charter threats haven't worked.

Simple, blow something out of all proportion , keep it blowing, tell an independent Judicial figure you want the truth and nothing but the truth, then narrow his remit at the last minute, keep it focused on what you want, which will inevitably give your target a kicking. look at his initial findings, tell him they are outside the strict remit (Use a flatmate from college days for this) and have him inform the world , the report will be a bit longer.

Then, tell the British public you'll be reworking the BBC, because we can't have irresponsible journalism, BBC is the representative of Britain to the world etc etc , cut or freeze the Licence fee for x time , appoint a mate to the D-G post. One you can control, and one you know, will do your every bidding. Make sure you can get him in now, because you want that organisation, to give you loads of free advertising in the run up to a general election. Make sure you retain control, because when the inquiry starts as to why we went to war in the first place, you want the World's premier news organisation on side.

Predictions

Campbell to the BBC
    No inquiry into the reasons for war
    Resignations in the intelligence community
    Another scapegoat to be found on the Government side, to show how "Fair" Tone is
    Another Blairite to the top job at the BBC , possibly a public media figure, with a history of "Yoof" orientated programming.
    Very sympathetic coverage of our friends across the pond
    Part of the BBC privatised , possibly current affairs.

15. I'll see your prediction and raise you a massive rebranding campaign with a new name around the traditional initials of the existing organisation

BBC - Blair Broadcasting Corporation

All programming will be suitably dumbed down to create a nation of zombies and idiots that are obsessed by "Reality" tv and other such c*ap........ :evil: