Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gavin Williamson Sacked

Wow, we've finally found something that is not a police matter.

“I have spoken to the Cabinet Office regarding the nature of the material that was discussed in the National Security Council. This material was used to inform a discussion, the outcome of which was subsequently disclosed to the media. I am satisfied that what was disclosed did not contain information that would breach the Official Secrets Act.

“I have considered all the information available to me and I have taken legal advice. I am satisfied that the disclosure did not amount to a criminal offence, either under the Official Secrets Act or Misconduct in a Public Office. No crime has been committed and this is not a matter for the police.

AC Neil Basu statement re National Security Council disclosure

That must be a surprise on a bank holiday weekend. All those social services referrals, mental health issues and people slagging each other off in the twitters.

But all these leaks from the national security council, nope.

Well, that must be it then. I'm convinced.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Like that is going to happen! :rolleyes:.

With an almost guaranteed jail sentence to cover up government incompetence there is no-to-fuck-all chance of anyone coming forward and identifying themselves as Smiley's target!

I am Spartacus 2019 version?

May finding an excuse to push Williamson out as he was not subscribing to the EU Defence Plan, like a good little SoS. Will dig out source material.

Plausible as Williamson (and many other MPs) is furious that civil servants signed UK up to many EU Defence & Security programmes in 2017/8 (post Ref.) without ministerial or select committee approval; they only found out after deal was signed off.

Plausible as Williamson (and many other MPs) is furious that civil servants signed UK up to many EU Defence & Security programmes in 2017/8 (post Ref.) without ministerial or select committee approval; they only found out after deal was signed off.
Doesn't matter what unelected Civil Servants did, upon change of PM it should be very easy to undo these supposed EU D&S programmes by stating the civil service went above their remit and signed agreements without government and parliamentary approval. Then whoever did it should be sacked, and publicly so the civil service learns a very hard lesson.

Sure.

Could Williamson come back into Government under a different PM. It seems to have gone quiet on the political front, or is his political career over, if so you would expect more fight back from him.

Possibly there will be a bigger story develop in the coming weeks

Archie

Could Williamson come back into Government under a different PM. It seems to have gone quiet on the political front, or is his political career over, if so you would expect more fight back from him.

Possibly there will be a bigger story develop in the coming weeks

Archie

Of course he may just be keeping his powder dry and waiting till he can do PMTM the most damage.

TamH70

MIA

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wow, we've finally found something that is not a police matter.

“I have spoken to the Cabinet Office regarding the nature of the material that was discussed in the National Security Council. This material was used to inform a discussion, the outcome of which was subsequently disclosed to the media. I am satisfied that what was disclosed did not contain information that would breach the Official Secrets Act.

“I have considered all the information available to me and I have taken legal advice. I am satisfied that the disclosure did not amount to a criminal offence, either under the Official Secrets Act or Misconduct in a Public Office. No crime has been committed and this is not a matter for the police.

AC Neil Basu statement re National Security Council disclosure

That must be a surprise on a bank holiday weekend. All those social services referrals, mental health issues and people slagging each other off in the twitters.

But all these leaks from the national security council, nope.

Well, that must be it then. I'm convinced.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
‘If’, as he claims, GW is not the guilty bastard the way is now clear(er) for the leaker to come forward.

Interesting times.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very interesting wording from Labour today describing PMTM's as having "blown the confidentiality" of the talks.

Is that not the very reason she sacked the former DefSec?

Very interesting wording from Labour today describing PMTM's as having "blown the confidentiality" of the talks.

Do as I say...

The new doctrine is it is only a sacking offence if you leak from the NSC.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Imho both parties looking to blame the other for failure of talks.

Source?

PS - There is no constitutional requirement for "select committee approval" of agreements entered into on behalf of HM Government. The only issue would be absence of ministerial approval, as you allege.

Last edited:

Latest Threads