Gaucho belts - the latest naff officer accessory?

D

Deleted 60082

If included among them, make a beeline for any volumes containing Nelson's letters. The original volumes by Sir Nicholas Harris have been reprinted are are fairly reasonable to buy, and there are a couple of abridged collections of his letters in book form. His character comes out clearly from his letters after you start to read them - often more informative than the many books on Nelson.

Here's some on-line letters to give you a flavour.

Letters and Dispatches of Horatio Nelson

Wordsmith
image.jpg
image.jpg

Seen a number of chinless idiots wearing these things recently, from Lt to Brig but my question is why? In and of themselves they're no bad thing I suppose (although not my style) but the plethora of officers wearing them is puzzling, it's like a particularly virulent disease. I spotted two Capts the other day on their way out in regulation chinos, hero sleeves on double-cuffed shirts, cav boots and fecking gaucho belts. My gentle suggestion that the pair of them looked like clones and didn't have a spark of individuality between them fell on deaf cauliflower ears. This morning a young doris in civvies carrying a daysack walked past my window and was also wearing one so now even the gels have started wearing the bloody things.

Bah!

For the sartorially challenged amongst you:

View attachment 400648
[COD-AUSSIE]That's not a Gaucho belt. . . . . . .

. . . . . this is a Gaucho belt :[/COD-AUSSIE]

[COD-AUSSIE]That's not a Gaucho belt. . . . . . .

. . . . . this is a Gaucho belt :[/COD-AUSSIE]
looks more like this to me

1561560362330.png

D

Deleted 60082

If included among them, make a beeline for any volumes containing Nelson's letters. The original volumes by Sir Nicholas Harris have been reprinted are are fairly reasonable to buy, and there are a couple of abridged collections of his letters in book form. His character comes out clearly from his letters after you start to read them - often more informative than the many books on Nelson.

Here's some on-line letters to give you a flavour.

Letters and Dispatches of Horatio Nelson

Wordsmith
Thanks for the link. Great letters

D

Deleted 60082

Nice little stand out for me was Battle of the River Plate tucked in their. Very nice collection.
On a maritime theme dig out Walker RN by Terence Robbins (!) an outstanding story of Atlantic convoys and triple DSOs.
That’s the Naval section of the library (Nelson and WWII). There’s another 1000 books.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

riksavage

Old-Salt

You can always find some fucktard who drinks way too much KOOL-AID.

We had a bloke in the RHKP who used to wear a cape and monocle. Cock, click, BANG!

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
A straw topper ? Strewth.

I have a proper Luton-made boater, hard as a slate if rather battered, wear it for gigs and giggles if the sun is shining - but a top-hat is pushing the boat somewhat unless he's travelling to or from Ascot...

Old-Salt
Apparently these things originated in Argentina and were worn by polo players. You know the type; tall, heavily tanned, dark floppy hair, piercing eyes, the type of bloke that exists in a Jackie Collins novel. All testicles and testosterone. Quite how this translates to a prematurely balding and pink-faced young cavalry officer who is just a teensy bit overweight is beyond me.
Correct and still do. They are sold in the stalls around the margins of polo events and at other horsey functions.

I attend purely as my master's ostler, you understand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QRK2 Military Clothing & Boots 1
AlphaKennyThing Military Clothing & Boots 2
A ACF 9

Latest Threads