Gaucho belts - the latest naff officer accessory?

D

Deleted 60082

Like dessert wellies,jeans and Reg sweatshirt !
Sweet.

Is a dessert Wellington a baked pastry case surrounding a delectable, sweet filling, or is it a dining-in dessert served by Sodexo/Aramark/AMEY that is tough as old boots?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a perverts version of the Regimental tie, rather encourages people to look at waist level. Noticed that RMAS, QRH and others have their own belts - so surprisingly do the Booties I rather thought a length of paracord worked for them!

D

Deleted 60082

If you're going to go for sartorial horrors, do it in style.

View attachment 400800

Hat worn athwartships instead of fore and aft as convention dictated, decoration from Tsar of Russia worn quite improperly on said hat; one or two other foreign orders equally improperly displayed on uniform jacket.

Wordsmith
The one closest to his left shoulder was a çelink presented to him by Sultan Selim III for ridding Ottoman Egypt of the pesky French. He’s rated quite highly in Turkey because of this. But the çelink was stolen about 100 years ago and has never turned up. The cockade on his hat was clockwork, I believe, and would whizz around.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The one closest to his left shoulder was a çelink presented to him by Sultan Selim III for ridding Ottoman Egypt of the pesky French. He’s rated quite highly in Turkey because of this. But the çelink was stolen about 100 years ago and has never turned up. The cockade on his hat was clockwork, I believe, and would whizz around.
I refer you to m'learned friend @hotel_california's post #110 where said çelink appears in a video.

Nelson was so attracted to baubles that he turned down a knighthood after the Battle of Cape St Vincent, preferring the Order of the Bath instead. That entitled him to wear a red sash on his uniform, something far more visible than a knighthood.

Speaking of Cape St Vincent, Nelson (then only a commodore) flagrantly disobeyed the Fighting Instructions by wearing his ship out of line and flinging it across the Spanish line of retreat, enabling Sir John Jervis to win a spectacular victory.

Calder, Jervis's Captain of the Fleet (effectively his chief of staff) was not a Nelson fan and complained to Jervis that Nelson had disobeyed orders. Jervis's classic rejoinder has come down to us.

"It certainly was so, and if you ever commit a like breach of your orders, I will forgive you also".

Wordsmith

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:
D

Deleted 60082

I refer you to m'learned friend @hotel_california's post #110 where said çelink appears in a video.

Nelson was so attracted to baubles that he turned down a knighthood after the Battle of Cape St Vincent, preferring the Order of the Bath instead. That entitled him to wear a red sash on his uniform, something far more visible than a knighthood.

Speaking of Cape St Vincent, Nelson (then only a commodore) flagrantly disobeyed the Fighting Instructions by wearing his ship out of line and flinging it across the Spanish line of retreat, enabling Sir John Jervis to win a spectacular victory.

Calder, Jervis's Captain of the Fleet (effectively his chief of staff) was not a Nelson fan and complained to Jervis that Nelson had disobeyed orders. Jervis's classic rejoinder has come down to us.

"It certainly was so, and if you ever commit a like breach of your orders, I will forgive you also".

Wordsmith
I’ve inherited a stock of books on Nelson; I have an impending hospital stay so will bring several with me to dream of Victory.

Have the stock Nelson volumes but also a rather nice paperback called The Trafalgar Captains their lives and memorials. Having seen Horatio's memorial in St Paul's crypt they are architectural delights full of topsails and cannons.

Good to see they don't come in the colours of my old regiment then corps nor in the regiment junior is joining in a couple of months.

No comments about being too unfashionable before any of you retort!

I realise that these belts originate from Argentine, but I'd like to say 'Cheeleh' in order to establish my hip credentials.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve inherited a stock of books on Nelson; I have an impending hospital stay so will bring several with me to dream of Victory.
If included among them, make a beeline for any volumes containing Nelson's letters. The original volumes by Sir Nicholas Harris have been reprinted are are fairly reasonable to buy, and there are a couple of abridged collections of his letters in book form. His character comes out clearly from his letters after you start to read them - often more informative than the many books on Nelson.

Here's some on-line letters to give you a flavour.

Letters and Dispatches of Horatio Nelson

Wordsmith

D

Deleted 60082

Have the stock Nelson volumes but also a rather nice paperback called The Trafalgar Captains their lives and memorials. Having seen Horatio's memorial in St Paul's crypt they are architectural delights full of topsails and cannons.
The reaction to Nelson’s death was probably the first example of “proper remembering”. The country when wild buying Momento Mori indeed it spurred a whole architectural and furniture style involving rope and anchor Motifs.

If chaps weren't assless surely they would be trousers?

Plus you'd have to be pretty good to compare yourself with Don Roberto.

View attachment 400812
why does he appear to have a dress folded over his left arm?

Was he so Hetro and manly he had to tone it down with womens clothing or was he a bit of a mincer?

why does he appear to have a dress folded over his left arm?

Was he so Hetro and manly he had to tone it down with womens clothing or was he a bit of a mincer?
He never married. though I think it may be a poncho/blanket over his arm.

1561548112349.png

are you trying to destroy his reputation? or is the plan to have him recognised by the LGBTQRST types?
I think he actually did marry once though his wife died very young.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QRK2 Military Clothing & Boots 1
AlphaKennyThing Military Clothing & Boots 2
A ACF 9

Latest Threads