Gaucho belts - the latest naff officer accessory?

Seen a number of chinless idiots wearing these things recently, from Lt to Brig but my question is why? In and of themselves they're no bad thing I suppose (although not my style) but the plethora of officers wearing them is puzzling, it's like a particularly virulent disease. I spotted two Capts the other day on their way out in regulation chinos, hero sleeves on double-cuffed shirts, cav boots and fecking gaucho belts. My gentle suggestion that the pair of them looked like clones and didn't have a spark of individuality between them fell on deaf cauliflower ears. This morning a young doris in civvies carrying a daysack walked past my window and was also wearing one so now even the gels have started wearing the bloody things.

Bah!

For the sartorially challenged amongst you:

001381243.jpeg

How ghastly

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Are they available at Primark?

Whining Civvy

Old-Salt
Obviously a new method for folk of a certain social standing to recognise each other in a crowded space. Wait until chavs hear of it.

Shocking. It’ll be brown shoes with suits next.

Given alphabet soup season is upon us they better get the colours rainbowed pdq is they want promotion.

It's just another way for the chinless to clone themselves. Now that they've realised that Senior NCOs are all wearing pseudo toff clothing (you're cavalry twill, chino, Samual Windsor, Charles Tyrwhitt, et al) they've decided to change their toff profile with some gaudy "look at me, I support (insert hard up community here)" by buying overpriced imported tat for the gullible rich

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Definitely not testing the water to see if you'll get away with wearing one then?

Apparently these things originated in Argentina and were worn by polo players. You know the type; tall, heavily tanned, dark floppy hair, piercing eyes, the type of bloke that exists in a Jackie Collins novel. All testicles and testosterone. Quite how this translates to a prematurely balding and pink-faced young cavalry officer who is just a teensy bit overweight is beyond me.

If Gieves & Hawkes are switched on, they'll introduce a line in matching gaucho braces.

Worn in conjunction with a T-shirt, they'd set a new trend for aspiring officers.

Seen a number of chinless idiots wearing these things recently, from Lt to Brig but my question is why? In and of themselves they're no bad thing I suppose (although not my style) but the plethora of officers wearing them is puzzling, it's like a particularly virulent disease. I spotted two Capts the other day on their way out in regulation chinos, hero sleeves on double-cuffed shirts, cav boots and fecking gaucho belts. My gentle suggestion that the pair of them looked like clones and didn't have a spark of individuality between them fell on deaf cauliflower ears. This morning a young doris in civvies carrying a daysack walked past my window and was also wearing one so now even the gels have started wearing the bloody things.

Bah!

View attachment 400648
How have you only just noticed these? They've been around for years. You can get them in your regi colours too!

Custom leather belts

Apparently these things originated in Argentina and were worn by polo players. You know the type; tall, heavily tanned, dark floppy hair, piercing eyes, the type of bloke that exists in a Jackie Collins novel. All testicles and testosterone. Quite how this translates to a prematurely balding and pink-faced young cavalry officer who is just a teensy bit overweight is beyond me.
I remember one of the young officers at the QRL used to wear a 1930's vintage tweed 3 piece that didn't fit him.
He said it had belonged to his great grandfather. Strangely nobody seemed to laugh at him, just accepted that as a "proper" toff he could ignore convention at will and get away with it.

Bah!

View attachment 400648
Well it makes sense. After all, what else do you hold your pink fookin cords up with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QRK2 Military Clothing & Boots 1
AlphaKennyThing Military Clothing & Boots 2
A ACF 9

Latest Threads