• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

GAU-19/A .50 (12.7) Gatling Guns

plugbore295 said:
Now thats what i call a gun. 8) The QM would have a fit at the rate of expenditure but effective firepower!!!!
I am waiting for the usual US critics to now associate the weapon with their view of US forces as wanton killers of friendlies and enemies alike. In any event it is an impressive weapon system.

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
These have already been trialed and discounted because the amount of ammo that would have to be carried for them make it very un-practical to say the least.

daywalker said:
These have already been trialed and discounted because the amount of ammo that would have to be carried for them make it very un-practical to say the least.
Oh, I dont know.

With the appliance of science the rate of fire could be brought down to less than 1,000 rpm. That is the low end setting on the weapon as it stands according to the wiki.

After that, the rate of fire is down to the operator. Good discipline could see a much lower rate of fire than the max stated, or a circuit could be added lowering the rate of fire.... with a suitably marked override switch of course.

Also note the tremendous recoil on the old style mount, the whole vehicle leans back when it fires. The M134 is better for most vehicle apps, and the new Dillon Aero delinker has made clearing stoppages a hell of a lot easier. I watched one of ours chop a hovel into rubble when the Allah Ahkbar individuals inside decided they werent accepting our invitatation to put down their boom sticks. Made an example for sure.

chocolate_frog said:
daywalker said:
Oh, I dont know.

With the appliance of science the rate of fire could be brought down to less than 1,000 rpm. That is the low end setting on the weapon as it stands according to the wiki.

After that, the rate of fire is down to the operator. Good discipline could see a much lower rate of fire than the max stated, or a circuit could be added lowering the rate of fire.... with a suitably marked override switch of course.
It is also being considered for the Osprey.

jumpinjarhead said:
plugbore295 said:
Now thats what i call a gun. 8) The QM would have a fit at the rate of expenditure but effective firepower!!!!
I am waiting for the usual US critics to now associate the weapon with their view of US forces as wanton killers of friendlies and enemies alike. In any event it is an impressive weapon system.
Why wait, just ignore them, or ask them to stand in front of the muzzles and smile when they see the flash.

A weapon like this puts into practice what a Civil War General said about winning wars, "get there the fastest with the mostest".

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A very interesting read JJH thanks for that. The American Civil War gets even less coverage than our own in modern history lessons (ie none at all) and it is always interesting to get a different perspective. I expect the musket ball in the spine must have smarted a bit!Almost as much as having it removed without anasthetic.

JINGO said:
A very interesting read JJH thanks for that. The American Civil War gets even less coverage than our own in modern history lessons (ie none at all) and it is always interesting to get a different perspective. I expect the musket ball in the spine must have smarted a bit!Almost as much as having it removed without anasthetic.
As is apparent from his interesting , albeit quite checkered. record, he is another of these larger than life characters that warrants study. Too many here have gone the PC route and merely dismissed him from the cavalcade of luminary figures from that bitter conflict because of his conduct at Ft Pillow and after the war with the KKK. Of course, all military leaders of note are complex characters whereby even those who cross the line in the glare of 20/20 hindsight may still have things to teach us today-good and bad.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Amen Jumpin. It is so easy to look with todays eyes.He was a man of his time,hard men for hard days. We would do well to remember that in these times of war. No matter how much the hand wringers try to ignore it WE ARE AT WAR. But hey whats the point on here? We all know this. He was the definition of the Rough Men in your Orwell quote.

jumpinjarhead said:
Drlligaf said:
A weapon like this puts into practice what a Civil War General said about winning wars, "get there the fastest with the mostest".

A very hard man.

Linky

Tarnished slightly by being the first Grand Wizard of the terrorist wing of the Democratic party but still very dashing.

Finally all that equestrian elan was no match for the granddaddy of Blitzkrieg:

Sherman also has the pithier quote: "war is cruelty and you cannot refine it".

Both of them probably spent much more time worrying about food and fodder than firepower.

alib said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Drlligaf said:

A very hard man.

Linky

Tarnished slightly by being the first Grand Wizard of the terrorist wing of the Democratic party but still very dashing.

Finally all that equestrian elan was no match for the granddaddy of Blitzkrieg:

Sherman also has the pithier quote: "war is cruelty and you cannot refine it".

Both of them probably spent much more time worrying about food and fodder than firepower.
Alib:

Did you HAVE to remind me of old Bill Sherman? As a native Georgian, his name evokes considerable feelings even to this day. In fact, even in the 1950s when I was a lad in Atlanta, if you wanted your steak well done in any restaurant you asked for it to be "Shermanized."

Another of his infamous quotes is: "I intend to make Georgia howl" before cutting a swath 20-60 miles wide for 285 miles from Atlanta to the sea. It lasted lasted 5 weeks, with his army of 60,000 men destroying fences and crops, killing livestock, burning barns and factories as well as some houses, particularly those deserted by the planter class.

In fairness to him (choke) he did largely prevent his forces from raping white women and from killing civilians. Although many historians have cited this campaign as marking the advent of "total war", it never became genocidal, nor had Sherman intended it to become so. Even so, many Georgian civilians starved to death in the wake of his army.

Personally, I think Sherman should be credited with having rightly perceived the true strategic "objective"as the southern population and its infrastructure that continued to fanatically support the war in contrast to so many of his predecessors who wrongly directed their main effort against the southern armies in an effort to achieve the climactic battle that was the essence of Napoleonic warfare they had learned at West Point.

jumpinjarhead said:
Did you HAVE to remind me of old Bill Sherman? As a native Georgian, his name evokes considerable feelings even to this day. In fact, even in the 1950s when I was a lad in Atlanta, if you wanted your steak well done in any restaurant you asked for it to be "Shermanized."

Another of his infamous quotes is: "I intend to make Georgia howl" before
What kind of savage orders a steak well done?

baboon6 said:
jumpinjarhead said:

Another of his infamous quotes is: "I intend to make Georgia howl" before
What kind of savage orders a steak well done?
Erm.....remember where this is-in the colonies that are populated by savages (a great deal of whom are VERY large) :D .

Latest Threads