GAU-19/A .50 (12.7) Gatling Guns

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jumpinjarhead, Feb 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, out with the 50 cals we've got installed at the moment on vehicles, in with these bad boys...
  2. Now thats what i call a gun. 8) The QM would have a fit at the rate of expenditure but effective firepower!!!!
  3. I've just wazzed in my pants
  4. I am waiting for the usual US critics to now associate the weapon with their view of US forces as wanton killers of friendlies and enemies alike. In any event it is an impressive weapon system.
  5. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

These have already been trialed and discounted because the amount of ammo that would have to be carried for them make it very un-practical to say the least.
  6. Oh, I dont know.

With the appliance of science the rate of fire could be brought down to less than 1,000 rpm. That is the low end setting on the weapon as it stands according to the wiki.

After that, the rate of fire is down to the operator. Good discipline could see a much lower rate of fire than the max stated, or a circuit could be added lowering the rate of fire.... with a suitably marked override switch of course.
  7. Also note the tremendous recoil on the old style mount, the whole vehicle leans back when it fires. The M134 is better for most vehicle apps, and the new Dillon Aero delinker has made clearing stoppages a hell of a lot easier. I watched one of ours chop a hovel into rubble when the Allah Ahkbar individuals inside decided they werent accepting our invitatation to put down their boom sticks. Made an example for sure.
  8. It is also being considered for the Osprey.
  9. Why wait, just ignore them, or ask them to stand in front of the muzzles and smile when they see the flash.

A weapon like this puts into practice what a Civil War General said about winning wars, "get there the fastest with the mostest".

10. A very hard man.

11. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

A very interesting read JJH thanks for that. The American Civil War gets even less coverage than our own in modern history lessons (ie none at all) and it is always interesting to get a different perspective. I expect the musket ball in the spine must have smarted a bit!Almost as much as having it removed without anasthetic.
  12. As is apparent from his interesting , albeit quite checkered. record, he is another of these larger than life characters that warrants study. Too many here have gone the PC route and merely dismissed him from the cavalcade of luminary figures from that bitter conflict because of his conduct at Ft Pillow and after the war with the KKK. Of course, all military leaders of note are complex characters whereby even those who cross the line in the glare of 20/20 hindsight may still have things to teach us today-good and bad.
  13. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Amen Jumpin. It is so easy to look with todays eyes.He was a man of his time,hard men for hard days. We would do well to remember that in these times of war. No matter how much the hand wringers try to ignore it WE ARE AT WAR. But hey whats the point on here? We all know this. He was the definition of the Rough Men in your Orwell quote.
  14. JJH, thanks for the link. I knew it was a Confederate who said that , (who else?) but had forgotten who it was.