Gattling Gun Question

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Apr 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched a Yank prog and they let loose with a mini gun Gattling type. Real life on range.
    Now 'Basically' you have six (?) external barrels arrainged around the circumferance, surrounding a 'central tube' on which I ASSUMED the whole assembly rotated about.
    Until I saw this movei I THOUGHT that the rounds where fired from the external Barrels in turn, when say they where in the 12 o clock position.
    However, in this case it SEEMED that the rounds where comming out of the central tube and for sure there was a steady stream of 'Blast Fire' from this position.
    Anyone familiar with this type of weapon who can confirm just where the bullets depart from.
    Optical trick or not ?
  2. optical trick, and if mounted as normal the firing position is top of the arc, 12 o'clock.
  3. Simple explanation here.

4. anyone remember how many of the mini type guns Puff had?
  5. I presume you are talking about the AC130?
    2 x 20mm Vulcan Cannons - externally powered, six-barrel, rotary-fire gun having a rate of fire of up to 7200 spm. The firing rate is selectible at 4,000 spm or 6,000 spm. The gun fires standard electrically primed 20mm ammunition. The M61A1 is hydraulically or ram-air driven, electrically controlled, and uses a linkless ammunition feed system.
    In case that doesn't kill the tw*&s, they also carry, on the AC130H Spectre, 1 x 40mm Bofors (256 rounds), 1 x 105mm howitzer (100 rounds)
    All in all, enough to make anyone on the ground unhappy.
  6. Unless it's on your side! :D
  7. If the question was about the DC 3 (DAKOTA) based "Puff the Magic Dragon" gunship in the Vietnam war, it had 3 x minigun firing from the left side.

There was also a version used in Vietnam based on the C 119 "Flying Boxcar", called the AC 119K "STINGER", with 4 x 7.62 mm minigun and 2 x 20mm VULCAN Gatling-type cannon.