Gates Urges Military to Focus on Current Wars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gates Urges Military to Focus on Current Wars
    Defense Secretary Warns Against Falling Back on Cold War Mentality

By Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008; 12:48 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS, May 13--Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates today implored the U.S. military to focus more on wars against insurgents and militias such as the ones in Iraq and Afghanistan, rather than focusing time and money on potential conflicts.

He said the armed services and their corporate counterparts should steer technology and resources toward battling today's insurgencies because they are likely to be the foes of the future
    More on the link
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/13/AR2008051301265.html?nav=rss_world/asia

2. Can't really complain about this. Its important to look to the future but you can't obsess about it as some Americans do about Iran. Concentrate on Iraq, try and get the job done there and help those guys that need help once they get back.

3. Perhaps he should urge members of congress to stop backing useless projects just because the factory is within their congressional district? Thats what fcuks the Spams over, allowing politicos vote-buying projects to override common sense...of course, we musn't ever forget the effects of the 10-year rule on the British Army between WW1 and WW2, they called WW1 the war to end all wars, and thought imperial policing was all they'd have to do, and look at the results of that at Dunkirk & Singapore...

4. Call me naive, but isn't he their boss? Why is he 'imploring' the military men who work for him to do something he wants?

5. 'Cos they'll probably still be in the same job come November...(well, next January really, but you know what I mean).

6. I thought British Airways binned the Trident years ago :oops: