Gates swings axe on defence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Apr 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aircraft carriers "cut to 10". That's 10 proper carriers in service then. Can we buy up any spare plus any buckshee aircraft?

2. Fighting the last war?

3. Agusta Westland ain't going to be very happy

4. Just as an aside, the title of this thread is misleading. The defence budget would increase under these proposals. As the NYT notes, while Gates called for “deep cuts in many traditional weapons systems,” he added “new billions of dollars for others, along with more troops and new technology to fight the insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

5. No point. Running a single, American carrier battle group would consume more than the entire UK defence budget.

I can see Gordon salivating though, at the prospect of a few second hand F18 based air groups becoming available at less than half the price of F35 air groups. Time to blow the dust off those designs for catapults and arrester wires on the new carriers. Might save enough cash for a few Hawkeyes too.

6. Interesting reading. Sounds like the original bidding process was a case of "job for the boys". I wonder if this reversal has sent any shivers through the British Defence Industry?

P-T

7. Of course if we did pick up a few carriers, we'd only need to find roughly 6000 sailors per ship to man the carriers, and thats before anything else in the Battlegroup is considered.

8. I don't think Lockheed Martin are that worried about the F22's and C17's future- and neither is Wall St. Their stock price jumped about 10% after the announcement was made. You can bet that the USAF gave them up knowing that Congress will resurrect them.

9. 10 carriers by 2040

Amazing figure in there "The department will spend over $47 billion in health care in FY '10" 8O 8O 8O 8O

Odo

10. Gates hasn't cut anything, these are his recommendations to congress, and they have a habit of ignoring him

11. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I think the F35 programme was accelerated but total numbers reduced, not 100% sure on that though

12. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

Well the Ford is due to be completed in 2014 so CVNs will drop to 10 as Enterprise finally gives up the ghost.

Shes nuclear powered and pretty much out of fuel so if you wanted to spend $1.5 billion refueling a 50 odd year old hull then knock yourself out. As for finding 6000 crew and 80 aircraft....

Maybe the Chinese will buy her, they seem to have bought ever other buckshee aircraft carrier over the last god knows how many years.