Gates & Stiles to go in Politically Correct Countryside

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE
    No doubt farmers will be required to construct paved, non-slip paths so that wheelchair and crutch users don't get bogged down :roll:
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They should be rubberised paths too - HSE will need to inspect them to make sure that a falling mlaar will not crack their heads open, and of course, you'll need to remove the teeth of any cows, and giver them some soft rubber booties too.
  3. Define "Rambling".

Is it using your mobility to traverse difficult terrain?
  4. ...and what fucking business is it of theirs who visits the countryside? Most of us stopped asking: "Teacher, teacher, can I go wee-wee?" a long time ago, but these bloody creatures want to control us to the point where they hold the willys. Well, they can f off and play with their own. Cnts.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm waiting for some careless and stupid farmer getting done in court because he failed to ensure that his animals could not injure someone - you know it's going to happen!

"Have YOU been trampled by a herd of cows? Have YOU been frightened by a horse? Call Ambulance Chasers on 0800 Give-me-some-fcuking-money TODAY for your no-win, no-fee claim!"
  6. I have to say this makes me laugh.

One of the councils just on the outskirt of Bristol has already done this and the mind boggles as to what they thought they'd achieve when they made a disabled access gate to the entrance of a path that is a foot and a half wide running 5 foot above a fast flowing river. The path becomes thick mud when there has been rain and is a serious struggle to get along even with legs, the dogs frequently slide off and end up swimming (although I suspect this is merely a ploy to go for a swim!). :roll:

Perhaps each council needs to have a disabled access team to go and test routes before wasting money on these gates.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Standby for a 4ft wide gravel track and suspension bridge over the river.....and don't forget charging points for electric wheelchairs
  8. Riding a mountain bike on a narrow, rarely used footpath - technically illegal

Tearing up a footpath on a 4wd electrically powered spaz chariot - legal, and positivley encouraged by building a feck off 2 metre wide path for them, cant have any lumps or bumps mind, they might roll over and get trapped, with noone to hear them mlarring for help!

The lunatics have taken over the asylum, and then gone out for a ramble in the sunshine bus!
  9. A lot of the time, the farmer is able to access some kind of funding for footpaths and their upkeep. So if you are going to work on a path, and you have funding, what the big deal about putting a gate in that works for all? It may not just be a wheelchair, but a baby buggy for example. It's your money they're spending so why not make it accessable to all?
  10. I just read this article - absolutely ridiculous!! Keep the countryside for those who value it's traditions - there are plenty of places for wheelchair users to go. Have the govenment lost ANY sense of pragmatism?? They will be saying rescue helicopters should whirl around looking for walkers in trouble next - it's bad enough idiots going up mountains inadequately equipped without the government encouraging them. I am all for diversity and inclusiveness where practical but the British countryside has centuries of traditions which we want to keep
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

'cos when you have done it someone will realise that its actually not safe for a wheelchair bound person to be there - then the H and S stupidity kicks off and before you know it there is rubberised runway in place of a hedgerow - then the environmentalists kick off...........etc etc etc
  12. You know what'll happen next..................... Council costs it out, discovers it's too expensive and shuts the path to everyone, in the name of equal oppertunity!! :evil:

I look forward to the stenna stairlift up the 3 peaks, in Yorkshire next.
  13. There's already one up Snowdon ;)

14. You know what'll happen though. Take the path I described (one that I would not take a toddler down). Wheelchair user gains access through said gate, slides off the path, ends up in river, sues farmer/council because there was a gate that allowed wheelchair access to the path ergo the path should be suitable for wheelchair users.

It's not rocket science, you can't pave the British countryside. There has to be a limit somewhere.
  15. What if that breaks and the people have to get back down somehow? Should they all be supplied with these "Wheeled chairs" to allow a faster evac?