Gate Guardians

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Sep 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

It would seem that a number of gate/camp guardians have been scrapped in the last couple of years. Notably some WW1 artillery pieces in Preston, one sold to a dealer the other cut and scrapped due to no being able to moved easily. I think they were 18 pdrs.

If anyone knows of any pieces that are proving to be a bit of a pain/rusty/or needing to be moved on thne contact me. Our living history group is looking for long term projects. They can even be signed over to a military unit (Staffordshire Regt museum) to make the transaction trail run smoothly.

Cheers,
    GM

2. GM,

Recently been at Castlemartin where at least 2 of the guardians (a churchill and a chieftain I believe) have been removed from their plinths at the front of camp and are being stored in the tank park; for what purpose I know not.

3. General Melchett

Cheers bg, probably to be scrapped.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lisanelly Bks In Omagh had a feret and a saladin back in the 80's, long closed now, I wonder if the boyos are using them?

5. Just spoken to the Range at Castlemartin.

The two tanks have been removed for restoration. The Range is trying to get some funds to do the job, but would be delighted if there were any volunteers out there prepared to help out.

Anyone from Brawdy fancy some volunteer work?

6. I know that the Gunners are desperately trying to clear out some of their non-museum pieces that were being stored at Woolwich. Contact Firepower if interested.

uqfegd

pp

7. I would love a nice Victorian cannon on my lawn. I would treat it with the respect I habitually show for colours, war memorials and the rather cute RAF Wingco (Mrs) who picks her kids up from my daughter's school.

8. The Churchill is a Conqueror - a BIG MoFo tank if ever there was one! :wink:

9. Sorry been away for a while.

In my day (rustles paper) there was an official system for this. Essentially the Equipment Managers asked the finaciers to approve the transfer at no cost because the equipment was obsolete and no longer required. The financiers then wrote off the posssible income from scrap.

I know this because the Pink Panthers in the NAM were donated by yours truly when I worked in S Man in Andover. I don't know if the E Man people still do this but it may be worth a telephone call.

10. General Melchett

Cheers chaps. Will try some of your leads.

11. Theres serveral 5.5 inch field guns parked on a roundabout in telford.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Midland Game fair this weekend, I wonder If they can be towed by an Isuzu pick up? :twisted:

13. Why not portee them on the Isuzu? and put the ammo in my Avensis!

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Top box fitted thats the problem!

15. Can it pull 5.5 tons? course it can, winner all around!