Gate Guardian HELP!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by JB, Mar 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. JB

    JB Clanker

    OK, weird one, and apols for double post, but need help in big way on this...
    According to rumour control, there's somewhere in the big green admin' machine where you can apply for a free obsolete AFV to act as a gate guardian for your location (subject to keeping it intact/repainting once a year/whatever).
    Does anyone know if this is true and can they help me with some contact details? If you don't want to post details on open forum, please PM me and I will supply an e-mail address.

  2. Castle Donnington still storing stuff ,maybe from there , we got enough 1 tonne box bodys to turn Albemarle barracks airfield into a refugee camp back in the 80's

    god I sound old
  3. General Melchett

    General Melchett LE Moderator

    Castle Donnington? As in Monsters of Rock. :lol:

    Try the Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch. If it's not through them they may be able to help.
  4. I would have thought that it is covered somewhere in the Army Mat Regs / Supply Regs whatever. I know we have the same thing covered in the RAF for aircraft. Only because it was an exam questionduring training tho. Ask your friendly RLC Stacker type.
  5. IMHO the best place to start hunting for gate guardians is your own A&SD, who are the ultimate end-user (advises Customer 2) of a piece of kit acquired through the relevant IPT and so on.

    During the Disposal phase of Acquisition, Customer 2 is responsible for the equipment until it is no longer operationally useful; hence there is a dwindling Customer 2 involvement. Customer 2 is, however, also contributing to a replacement, either as new equipment or an alternative capability. In addition, Customer 2 assists the IPT in defining the schedule for taking the obsolete equipment out of service and the consequent ramp-down of training and support. The Disposal Sales Agency (DSA), the Disposals and Sales HOS organisation in D SC Ops and the Defence Export Services Organisation (DESO) may also become involved in the disposal by sale of surplus military equipment. It is also likely that A&SDs will be involved in the disposal of equipment to regimental museums and units, e.g. as gate guardians, etc., including co-ordinating bids.

    Therefore my numble advice is this: contact your A&SD, but fire a quick email into DESO (to find out where they get their kit from initially) and you may also wish to contact the DSA to see if they can help as well. Don't forget the Disposal and Sales people as well.

    Good luck - I hope this helps! :D
  6. Also be aware that if you have a gate guardian that is covered by the conventional forces in Europe treaty (CFE), it may have to be designated as an Object of Verification (OOV). This means that it has to be declared to former Warsaw Pact members, who can come and inspect if they wish.

    Not sure the above is absolutely accurate, but check with JACIG (Joint Arms Control Implementation Group) at RAF Henlow in Bedfordshire.
  7. What a right rigmarole!!!

    Try eBay or Exchange and Mart.
  8. You could always nick one.

    Turn up at the front gates at Bulford Camp with a low-loader and a luminous jacket, tell the guard commander that you are here to take the gate guardian away for its routine service and Bob's your uncle.

  9. I have a lovely ptarmigan det you can have ,spends most of its time in the workshop anyway , so a gate wont be too different
  10. Who made this thread wider than a very wide thing?

    Edit: Speedy, with his uber URL :p
  11. Seriously, if anyone needs an Iraqi APC then pm me as we are just about to send one to the Ranges for target practise ?

    Old CO wanted it New CO doesnt :roll:
  12. JB

    JB Clanker

    Sorted. Thanks for the help chaps, especially you-know-who.
  13. Cutaway

    Cutaway LE Reviewer

    Can you deliver ?