GASP! Cold air and running!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why does cold air make it so much harder to run? Why is it any different from warm air? Anyone know?

Sorry for rediculous question, its just winding me up. Temp down to freezing this evening.

J.

2. I was wheezing tonight too. It's probably a condensation thing. Warm air carries more moisture vapour than cold air so when you keep pumping chilled air into your hot lungs and try to exhale moisture it condenses quickly and the lungs don't like it. I suppose this is why you tend not to get wheezy in arid countries too.

Or something....

3. [quote="EX_STAB]I was wheezing tonight too. It's probably a condensation thing. Warm air carries more moisture vapour than cold air so when you keep pumping chilled air into your hot lungs and try to exhale moisture it condenses quickly and the lungs don't like it. I suppose this is why you tend not to get wheezy in arid countries too.

Or something....[/quote]

Good to hear its not me. The word "asthma" popped into my head buy I pshed it out again telling myself it was probably the cold air..

The water vapour theory sounds reasonable to me.. anyone else?

J.

4. A number of years back a lad died in fally from running in the winter mornings. Im sure some medic types will be able to explain more

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It means you havent warmed up properly, I suffered from this badly as a 16 year old during the winter of 81 at IJLB. If you are able to take the air in through the nose the additional blood vessels in the nasal membrane warm the air before it hits your throat and chest which helps. Straight in through the mouth is murder and always felt like water on my lungs. It is really a DS issue if your PT staff are unable to warm you up enough then get out a bit earlier or warm up in the block a bit more. I asked a PTI back then and he gave that advice!
    Now its a mute point!

6. So more/more gradual warm up then? My usual warm up is a slow jog up a steep hill about 400m long.. not really very comprehensive. Will make more of an effort tomorrow lol.

J.

7. When you breath in cold air (especially through the mouth), when it hits the lungs, it can cause the little tubes going to the alvioli (where gas exchange takes place) to constrict (it's not just willies that shrink when you dip them in something cold).

Obviously, this constriction causes a reduction in available alvioli and lung surface to allow for gas exchange, and also, makes the work of sucking air in and out that much harder, as you are now trying to force the required ammount of air through a smaller area. The so-called "work of breathing" can use up a LOT of energy. (Funnily enough, this is what happens in asthma, and there are kinds of asthma that are triggered by cold weather.)

One way to pre-warm the air is to breath through your nose (one of it's primary functions), also, making a conscious effort to "blow" air out at each breath helps empty out the alvioli, allowing fresh air in.

Hope this helps

(If anybody wants me to type out this in med-speak, give me a chance to root out my old text-books and get down to the local medical library, and I'll do it it with proper latin phrases, and give refererences and everything - I just prefer to do simple now that I can!)

8. I was breathing out of my arrse. Does that count?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Very often

10. HAHA. Asthma, are you kidding me? That's what some doctors would say. I beat that, I beat that good ;)

Just the cold air shocking your warm lungs i'm guessing.. don't have a panic over it, you don't have to go on an excercise bike about it :oops:

11. In the winter months i always run with a burning hay bale in a wheelbarrow. Seems to cure the breathing cold air problem. Stinging eyes is what i suffer from though!!

12. lol thanks for the laugh!

J.

13. Isn't that illegal?

14. Fcuk me I must be wierd then - I find it easier to run and breathe when its brass monkeys - must just be me. Swings and roundabouts I suppose

15. I too get this in the winter months, it worried me at first but I learnt to deal with it. I don't think there is any way to stop it, just got to deal with it.