Gas or Electric Central Heating?

Interesting email from my energy supplier (Green) just now:
Hello,

We have zero confidence in Kwasi Kwarteng continuing to act as the Business Secretary in the UK, due to the lack of support towards energy suppliers and their customers. In recent news, Kwarteng has had meetings with Ofgem and with large energy suppliers - neglecting smaller suppliers, with customers totalling in the millions and thousands of staff members.

Kwarteng said that small firms would be allowed to go bankrupt, with their customers auctioned off to the company prepared to offer them the cheapest rate (source). We believe that he is unfit for his current role and further action is needed to ensure that the energy market has adequate support.

Due to current wholesale costs and the actions of Kwarteng, customers are most likely to see a big increase in the cost of powering their homes in the coming months. Ofgem made Kwarteng aware of the ongoing pressure to energy suppliers on 26th March 2020.

Recent articles:
Four more small energy firms could go bust next week
‘I don’t think we’ll survive the winter’: a small energy supplier’s call for help
Gas prices: Are energy bills going up and what can I do?
U.K. Energy Firms Locked In Emergency Talks With Government
Ofgem Letter (March 2020)

Regards,
The Team at Green​

I have received intelligence this morning that I am now a reluctant slave of British Gas.

There must have been some arm twisting going on behind the scenes as the big boys are now very reluctant to take on the refugees from failed energy providers with all the legacy problems and expense involved. For similar reasons it is now almost impossible to compare and switch supplier as respective tariffs are still an unknown quantity.

It makes you wonder what the hell those 'I'm your local energy representative' cold-callers are trying to push.

I have received intelligence this morning that I am now a reluctant slave of British Gas.

There must have been some arm twisting going on behind the scenes as the big boys are now very reluctant to take on the refugees from failed energy providers with all the legacy problems and expense involved. For similar reasons it is now almost impossible to compare and switch supplier as respective tariffs are still an unknown quantity.

It makes you wonder what the hell those 'I'm your local energy representative' cold-callers are trying to push.
While many energy suppliers operate without any issues, small suppliers do go out of business periodically, and that number could rise dramatically in the next few months given the state of the energy market. However, customers should be assured that are rules in place from the energy regulator to protect them in the event that their supplier goes out of business.

In short, if this happens, Ofgem will appoint a new supplier — referred to as the supplier of last resort, or SoLR — for the affected customers. This new supplier will be vetted by Ofgem and appointed as quickly as possible to ensure that customers don’t experience any disruption in their gas and/or electricity service.

Do I need to do anything?​

Take meter readings as soon as you're aware that your supplier has ceased trading, as you'll need these for your new supplier (the supplier of last resort).

Will my gas or electricity supply get cut off?​

No. Ofgem’s “safety net” ensures your energy won’t be cut off in the event your supplier goes out of business.

What if I’m in credit to my energy supplier at the time?​

Your new supplier will honour any credit you had built up with your olf supplier under Ofgem's SoLR rules. It takes time for your account and your balance to transfer, so if you want to switch away from the appointed supplier, it is best to wait until your account with them is set up.

How does Ofgem select the new supplier?​

Ofgem says that their top priority in choosing the SoLR is “to ensure that all customers continue to receive supplies of gas and/or electricity.”

There are several requirements that the supplier must meet but, essentially, the supplier must show it has the ability to take on the new customers quickly and efficiently, and without significantly impacting their existing customers.

The supplier of last resort must also show it has the means and ability to secure enough gas and electricity to supply these new customers without significant cost to those customers.

Ofgem will also take into account whether a supplier will voluntarily reimburse any customers’ credit balances when selecting the SoLR.

If no such supplier volunteers to accept the customers of a failed supplier, Ofgem will appoint the supplier they deem best suited to the job.

Last week I finished installing my woodburner.
So least we'll have heat in one room and can stick some sauce pans on the top.
Timing is everything as usual ;)

My supplier just wrote to tell me they've gone under, goodness knows who I'll get instead.

My supplier just wrote to tell me they've gone under, goodness knows who I'll get instead.
Mine apparently went last week and I'm with EDF now, which may explain why they never answered the question about why when I was £300 in credit they decided to put up my DD.

Mine apparently went last week and I'm with EDF now, which may explain why they never answered the question about why when I was £300 in credit they decided to put up my DD.
Hundreds of thousands of new customers, gonna take a while to wade through them all.

Brilliant , particularly like the "Have you been mis sold a heat pump? " comment .
The video was posted previously in this thread, but in light of today's announcement about the grant of £5k being made available for people wanting to replace gas boilers it's a bare bones reminder of how useless this technology is in our part of the world... and how much of a waste of money it will be for anyone considering converting. Get your gas boiler serviced or replaced with another gas boiler before 2030 is probably the best option.

...alternatively, as heat pumps heat homes through drawing warm air from outside (but mainly rely on use of an immersion heater) it would be helpful if there was a bit more global warming for us Brits shivering in Atlantic gales every Winter.....

tgo

LE
It's spectacularly stupid, so we replace something that's relatively cheap, can heat both home and water to replace it with something that costs a shit ton more, is not fit for purpose and will require supplementary electric heating and a fcuking immersion heater??? it's like its the 50's again.

Oh yes so we're also be having many more EV which will also require charging, looks like the electric loads going to be pretty hefty, is there going to be more power generation available, Christ it feels like we're devolving, not evolving.

It's spectacularly stupid, so we replace something that's relatively cheap, can heat both home and water to replace it with something that costs a shit ton more, is not fit for purpose and will require supplementary electric heating and a fcuking immersion heater??? it's like its the 50's again.
Don't forget that you also need to replace your slimline radiators with something at least twice the size because heat pump temperatures are not as high as gas boilers.

Even the governments own Energy Saving Trusts heat pump trial recommendations states "You should consider a heat pump if you live in a new-build property, or in a well-insulated existing property that cannot access the gas network."

Trial was conducted between 2008 and 2013: Analysis from the Energy Saving Trust’s heat pump field trial

Last edited:

anglo

LE

Oh yes so we're also be having many more EV which will also require charging, looks like the electric loads going to be pretty hefty, is there going to be more power generation available, Christ it feels like we're devolving, not evolving.
The smart grid is coming, and we are doubling the number of wind turbines,
more nuclear power stations are going to be built, some time, OK we will have to decommission a few of the older nuclear power stations, but that's no problem
we will have the batteries of all those EVs to back up the grid, all in all, what difference will a few million
heat pumps make, the national debt is going to be a little on the large size, but the future generations will pay that off.

Last edited:

Diko

Old-Salt
Gas is the ideal fuel for central heating boilers in your home. Heat pumps do not come anywhere near the warmth of a gas fired central heating system.

Is is possible to run a heat pump 'the other way round' to get cooling in the summer?
Apparently it CAN.... but as the heat pump is meant to be a replacement for a bog-standard gas boiler it presumably is meant to be the method of providing hot water even during the hot summer months for use around the home for bathing/shower/hand washing and I wouldn't have thought both hot (warm) water for washing and cold going through the 'radiators' would be compatible on the one system

(From a New Scientist article): "Unless this feature is disabled by legislation, as the UK government seeks to roll out this type of system, it is just another way to accelerate 'The Global Warming Apocalypse' as energy use will explode to meet “vital” cool comfort conditions. Summer heat calls for better house design, with shade, planting, parasol and venting features."

This bloke is a plumber, and a pretty good one...he's the guy in the other video posted above and he's done a follow up due to the comments he received.....
... he's certainly got the bit between his teeth about heat pumps and makes a compelling argument against them in this enjoyable mini rant...

tgo

LE
Just heard a heat pump installation spokesman on GB News say that the increase in gas prices would make heat pumps more efficient. Doh!
He probably meant that come the go signal from Princess nut nut that the Govt would make Gas so expensive, having a heat pump, crap though they are would be a more attractive proposition.

philc

LE

The video was posted previously in this thread, but in light of today's announcement about the grant of £5k being made available for people wanting to replace gas boilers it's a bare bones reminder of how useless this technology is in our part of the world... and how much of a waste of money it will be for anyone considering converting. Get your gas boiler serviced or replaced with another gas boiler before 2030 is probably the best option.

...alternatively, as heat pumps heat homes through drawing warm air from outside (but mainly rely on use of an immersion heater) it would be helpful if there was a bit more global warming for us Brits shivering in Atlantic gales every Winter.....

Last time I took government advice on a purchase was buy diesel and look how that turned out.

Latest Threads