Gas or Electric Central Heating?

If you have solid floors downstairs, consider putting your heating into that.
Works with gas or electric, gets rid of radiators and its bloody lovely to walk on.
Once it eventually warms up, in the meantime you freeze your nads off.

True - but if you set it to maintain a room temperature of about 17c , just leave it on all winter.
If you go out you can turn all other areas off/down and its ever so nice to come home to.

Parents moved to a house with electric underfloor heating in 1974ish Bloody lovely underfoot.

But effin expensive to run. Heating the ground all the way to the Earth’s core.

But that was in the days when houses were built before the oil crises and roof insulation was thought to be over the top at 25mm of fibreglass over the ceiling. Insulation in the floor, what’s that?

Whatever system is being considered, fabric first is the first consideration. Get as much into the walls, floors and roof first, then design the heating system to suit the building type.

Electric is the most expensive way to heat your home , mains gas central heating is cheap to install compared with air source and ground source systems , go gas .

anglo

LE
Electric is the most expensive way to heat your home , mains gas central heating is cheap to install compared with air source and ground source systems , go gas .
By far the cheapest, I've been reading up on these source and ground source systems,
I am not impressed, I'd still go with gas,
They can talk the talk about getting rid of gas and oil boilers, but doing it is not going to happen,

Agreed, but as I said....... KEEP IT SIMPLE, the more "Energy saving " horseshit, you bolt on, the less chance of ever seeing a saving in the long run, plus the longer you have to wait in sub- zero conditions, trying to find soneone capable of fixing the mess......

Parents moved to a house with electric underfloor heating in 1974ish Bloody lovely underfoot.

But effin expensive to run. Heating the ground all the way to the Earth’s core.

But that was in the days when houses were built before the oil crises and roof insulation was thought to be over the top at 25mm of fibreglass over the ceiling. Insulation in the floor, what’s that?

Whatever system is being considered, fabric first is the first consideration. Get as much into the walls, floors and roof first, then design the heating system to suit the building type.

Conduction, Convection, Radiation.

That is the only way heat moves.
There is no point in pumping heat into a floor if it can be lost downwards.

The Romans knew that

Electric is not cheap, but there will be regulatory pressures, as well as market changes, to phase out gas and other fossil fuels. With that electric will likely become comparable and an option.

I’m not the designer in the schemes, but involved in a couple of projects where the developers of tower blocks have opted for electric and one of the main drivers was future regulatory changes, as well as it being cheaper to run cabling compared to fitting gas supply pipes and wet pipe plumbing. Less of an issue with housing since running wet pipes and fitting boilers is easier but it will at some point become attractive to go with electric with those as well.

By far the cheapest, I've been reading up on these source and ground source systems,
I am not impressed, I'd still go with gas,
They can talk the talk about getting rid of gas and oil boilers, but doing it is not going to happen,
I`ve got oil fired as theres no mains gas available , my thinking they will make diesel cars until 2030 so diesel will be available til at least 2040 and even longer for agriculture , oil fired systems will run on diesel so I `m not worried , my feet are too hot on my underfloor heating as I`m typing.

Instead of underfloor heating, which I'm very hostile to........ one leaking joint, and the whole bloody floor has to come up, with jackhammers, you could consider this........

1607718776581.png

many different types, and they will happily work with lower temperatures, like ground source.

Another plus, is they are ideal for small children, or the elderly, when falling against hot rads can be an issue.......

Whilst working on Emergency lighting in some flats this week, an elderly came out and bent my ear about her electricity bill. She lives alone in a ground floor flat, 1 bedroom, in a 1990s built block with storage heaters (recently installed by the housing assoc.) as the only heat source and presumably an immersion hot water cylinder. She said her smart meter is reading £8.00 per day/£240.00 month!!!
My old 3 bed semi, 60s built with gas back boiler and 2 eternally showering females had total utilities bill of about £100.00 a month. Could her smart meter be faulty, or does that sound gen. I've never had electric heating so unsure.

Instead of underfloor heating, which I'm very hostile to........ one leaking joint, and the whole bloody floor has to come up, with jackhammers, you could consider this........

View attachment 528183

many different types, and they will happily work with lower temperatures, like ground source.

Another plus, is they are ideal for small children, or the elderly, when falling against hot rads can be an issue.......

(This is not an argument.)
Underfloor heating must be tested for pressure drop or voltage drop, prior to infilling with whatever you want to infill with.
Then, you must test it again before you lay tiles ( or carpets, or Parquet or whatever ....)

Nobody should have to dig it up a few months after it has gone in

Major fuckup if that happens

tgo

War Hero
Whilst working on Emergency lighting in some flats this week, an elderly came out and bent my ear about her electricity bill. She lives alone in a ground floor flat, 1 bedroom, in a 1990s built block with storage heaters (recently installed by the housing assoc.) as the only heat source and presumably an immersion hot water cylinder. She said her smart meter is reading £8.00 per day/£240.00 month!!!
My old 3 bed semi, 60s built with gas back boiler and 2 eternally showering females had total utilities bill of about £100.00 a month. Could her smart meter be faulty, or does that sound gen. I've never had electric heating so unsure.
I can believe it, my last place was similar, poxxy solid brick storage heaters and a big fo immersion tank, my bills dropped hugely when I left and got a gas combi boiler house instead.

anglo

LE
Was her meter a two rate smart meter do you know, if she is on a single rate charge
the cost will be high, she should be on economy 7
Don't suppose you remember how many night store heats there were

(This is not an argument.)
Underfloor heating must be tested for pressure drop or voltage drop, prior to infilling with whatever you want to infill with.
Then, you must test it again before you lay tiles ( or carpets, or Parquet or whatever ....)

Nobody should have to dig it up a few months after it has gone in

Major fuckup if that happens

No, no, I'm not talking about immediate faults, I've had lots of callouts for leaks 10 years down the line...... badly soldered joints, pipes or joints failing due to expansion and contraction, when sealed tightly inside concrete, plus I can't see lots of plastic pipes and fittings with any longevity.

I was always a big fan of "If you can see it you can fix it....."

anglo

LE
Have you heard of the Climate Change Committee, well here's what they want to do to the UK,
have a read and judge for yourself whether it is going to happen,
I know some of the links are the wail, but read on
Notice how well off the Climate Change Committee members

No, no, I'm not talking about immediate faults, I've had lots of callouts for leaks 10 years down the line...... badly soldered joints, pipes or joints failing due to expansion and contraction, when sealed tightly inside concrete, plus I can't see lots of plastic pipes and fittings with any longevity.

I was always a big fan of "If you can see it you can fix it....."
I have watched both these systems go in.
I have seen them both up and running.
I can understand how a joint can fail BUT if it is properly surrounded by compacted concrete / grout / resin that failure is negligible due to local containment..

Don't understand how a whole floor needs breaking up and re-laying IF it was put down properly first time round,

Rab_C

LE
I live in a 2 bed 90’s flat with night storage heaters and immersion heater + electric shower. By judicious use of timers I pay £95/month over the 12 months. Dishwasher comes on at 03:00 and I heat only the top half of the water tank (2 elements) 06:00-07:00 which gives me enough hot water for the day. If the old girl is using the bath that will be costly. People leave the economy 7 immersion on all night and heat the full tank which is a complete waste of money/energy and hot water if only 1 person in the flat..

What about the central heating, where a higher temperature is required
Why is a higher temperature required? You’re only heating the room to 17-22C, so why do you need to heat the transmission medium in your system to >75C?

There are plenty of low temperature water heating systems around, often in much colder places than the UK. All those district heating systems in Scandinavian countries, artesian systems in New Zealand. Over 60% of Danish houses are heated with low temperature hot water from CHP plants.

There are also lots working successfully in the UK; Woking is a good example, but there are several PFI district heating systems around. A lot of public buildings, including barracks, have district heating.

Conduction, Convection, Radiation.

That is the only way heat moves.
There is no point in pumping heat into a floor if it can be lost downwards.

The Romans knew that

Though the Romans had slaves and a mass of trees to burn to warm their floors.

But what have they ever done for us?

Latest Threads