Gas Mask Sizes

Hey,

does anyone know what the sizes in cm/mm/inches any of those, for gas mask head sizes.

like: Size 1= xxcm
Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers

Ad4m said:
Hey,

does anyone know what the sizes in cm/mm/inches any of those, for gas mask head sizes.

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
What do you want a respirator for you cheb?

spaz said:
Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
What do you want a respirator for you cheb?
Buy two and use them as a bra?

Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
There will be 4 sizes (1-4).Try them on and the nice man in charge will work his voodoo and tell you which one fits.You will also experience some interesting tastes/smells.

firestarter said:
Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
There will be 4 sizes (1-4).Try them on and the nice man in charge will work his voodoo and tell you which one fits.You will also experience some interesting tastes/smells.
firestarter you bad man, how could you lie about such a thing?

There are no 'nice' men in charge :wink:

firestarter said:
Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
The QM's bloke may wonder why a civvy has wandered in to get a respirator though.

heidtheba said:
firestarter said:
Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
firestarter you bad man, how could you lie about such a thing?

There are no 'nice' men in charge :wink:
I used to be a "nice man".I will ask the RTC if I can be" a nice man " again.(I can't be arrsed going back to Winterbourne Gunner after 30 years!!)

Further to this thread, I just did my plod gimp mask course and a question bubbles to the surface.

When I was a lickle squaddy, the nice man waved some gubbins around the outside of my mask and told me if I could smell peardrops, I was told to tighten the straps. This was in S6 and S10 days, I now drive an Avon FM10 I think, looks like an S10...

Having done the plod CBRN civvy gimp mask course, they gave me 3 nice new avon masks but put me in a little tent with a ppm counter attached to my drinking tube. Is this now current practice in HMF or not?

Yes it is. The ppm counter/tent you refer to is called PortaCount; the H & SAW Act states that all respiratory protective eqpt has to be tested regularly for leakage using this machine, & MOD/HM Forces & the Police service adhere to this. Some units use it instead of putting troops througn a chamber test, but as all the guidelines state it's a qualitative test as opposed to chamber testing which is primarily a confidence test.
The FM12 although as you say similar to the S10, is a slightly better system because its sizing is a bit more flexible (due to the different style of head harness). Whereas with the S10 you have sizes 1-4 with 80% of users taking a size 2, with the FM12 you can cater for those inbetween people who would slip through the S10 sizing net & always end up with a leaky respirator. It also gives a bit more flexibility to fit those people whose face profile has changed due to weight loss, for example.

firestarter said:
Ad4m said:
Hey,

Size 2= xxcm
Size 3= xxcm

Cheers
Hopefully you won't or I would suggest getting a different mask :D

Brush_Dust_Shake said:
Yes it is. The ppm counter/tent you refer to is called PortaCount; the H & SAW Act states that all respiratory protective eqpt has to be tested regularly for leakage using this machine, & MOD/HM Forces & the Police service adhere to this. Some units use it instead of putting troops througn a chamber test, but as all the guidelines state it's a qualitative test as opposed to chamber testing which is primarily a confidence test.
What is this PPM thingy? I've just been through reserves basic training and my CBRN phase was virtually identical to the NBC phase that I undertook some years ago as a regular.

I experienced the "Wave the rag in front of your face-welly enclosed head and see if you can smell pear drops" test, and if you couldn't, it was "off to the chamber (sorry, respirator test facility) for you, sonny!"

Not quite the same beasting in the chamber, though. :lol:

dogfondler said:
Brush_Dust_Shake said:
What is this PPM thingy? I've just been through reserves basic training and my CBRN phase was virtually identical to the NBC phase that I undertook some years ago as a regular.

I experienced the "Wave the rag in front of your face-welly enclosed head and see if you can smell pear drops" test, and if you couldn't, it was "off to the chamber (sorry, respirator test facility) for you, sonny!"

Not quite the same beasting in the chamber, though. :lol:
You are supposed to get a certificate to prove the resi has passed the test and I'd assume this would be recorded in some sort of register by the testing unit.

If you haven't got one then I'd refuse to use it in anger, unless of course a large quantity of nerve agent had been released and a lung full was inbound then take your chances with it.

BTW RTF is soooooooooooooo last year its a CTF now, Confidence test.....etce etc

All military units (whether Regular or TA) should be carrying out the HSE directive re: PortaCount testing by now, as the MOD signed up to said directive some years ago. The only part of it which leaves room for flexibility is the frequency of the tests; some units interpret it as being necessary every 6 months, some annually, & most UK Police forces interpret it as a 2-yearly period between tests.
Once the respirator has passed the PortaCount test, the wearer is given a "Fit-Factor" pass certificate stating how much face seal leakage there is; for an S10 the fit factor is in excess of 10,000, therefore your scores for each exercise in the test must be higher than this. The average properly fitted S10 scores an overall FF of over 49,000, & it's a more stringent test than the CS chamber as CS particles are much larger than the ones being introduced into your resi during a PortaCount test. Ergo, if you've got a PortaCount test certificate for your resi you should have no worries about inhaling CS in a chamber.
For my own part, whenever I take a CS chamber/RTF/CTF period I always insist on seeing a current PortaCount certificate before the student enters; if they don't produce one, they don't do CS training. I'm led to believe that every student on the CBRN Defence Instructor's Course at WG is now trained as a PortaCount operator - perhaps someone will correct me if this isn't the case? It's a useful skill to have, because it could put the holder on the right track for a job in industry when they leave the Service.

BTW RTF is soooooooooooooo last year its a CTF now, Confidence test.....etce etc
All military units (whether Regular or TA) should be carrying out the HSE directive re: PortaCount testing by now, as the MOD signed up to said directive some years ago. The only part of it which leaves room for flexibility is the frequency of the tests; some units interpret it as being necessary every 6 months, some annually, & most UK Police forces interpret it as a 2-yearly period between tests.
Once the respirator has passed the PortaCount test, the wearer is given a "Fit-Factor" pass certificate stating how much face seal leakage there is; for an S10 the fit factor is in excess of 10,000, therefore your scores for each exercise in the test must be higher than this. The average properly fitted S10 scores an overall FF of over 49,000, & it's a more stringent test than the CS chamber as CS particles are much larger than the ones being introduced into your resi during a PortaCount test. Ergo, if you've got a PortaCount test certificate for your resi you should have no worries about inhaling CS in a chamber.
For my own part, whenever I take a CS chamber/RTF/CTF period I always insist on seeing a current PortaCount certificate before the student enters; if they don't produce one, they don't do CS training. I'm led to believe that every student on the CBRN Defence Instructor's Course at WG is now trained as a PortaCount operator - perhaps someone will correct me if this isn't the case? It's a useful skill to have, because it could put the holder on the right track for a job in industry when they leave the Service.
Perhaps someone should tell RAF Halton then.

Brush_Dust_Shake said:
Not all Units hold the RTS which provide the scores. By all accounts there are 3 per Bde?

What you will probably find is any Unit deploying WILL need to have a certificate before moving on to the Chamber/RTF/CTF, whatever they call it now.

The sequence that SHOULD happen is:
Suck Test
Amele Acetate (spelling)
RTS
RTF.

The FM 12 is okay for people with weird/unusual shaped heads, however, in the event of a chemical attack the harness would be ruined if any agent was to get on it, rendering it useless.
RTF

heidtheba said:
Brush_Dust_Shake said:
Not all Units hold the RTS which provide the scores. By all accounts there are 3 per Bde?

What you will probably find is any Unit deploying WILL need to have a certificate before moving on to the Chamber/RTF/CTF, whatever they call it now.

The sequence that SHOULD happen is:
Suck Test
Amele Acetate (spelling)
RTS
RTF.

The FM 12 is okay for people with weird/unusual shaped heads, however, in the event of a chemical attack the harness would be ruined if any agent was to get on it, rendering it useless.
RTF

Thanks for the info on that HTB, much obliged. I'm also led to believe that some units no longer carry out Amyl Acetate testing as the chemical can be difficult to obtain through the Med supply chain, & also the RTS/PortaCount system renders this method of testing obselete.
I'm also in agreement with you re: the FM12, whilst its more flexible harness system does make it better fitting for a wider range of wearers, the netting pad in the centre of it would indeed make it difficult if not impossible to decontaminate were it to come into contact with agents. It's possible that this is the reason why Avon market the FM12 as a Police/Internal Security respirator rather than the purely military S10, which has a different application altogether.
B_D_S

I've still got my first isssue S10 ( actually a replacement for my S6 ) which was issued in '89....Anyway bearing in mind I'm a weekend warrior and therefore a coward should I be looking at replacing it ? I mean, whats the shelf life of the S10