Gas! Gas! Gas!

They were there all this time!!

DozyBint said:
Breaking news banner on the BBC:

Vials of a dangerous gas originating from Iraq found at UN in New York. More soon.

8O
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- A U.N. office was evacuated after workers found vials that may have contained the poison gas phosgene Thursday.

U.N. archivists unexpectedly turned up samples of material from an Iraqi chemical weapons plant in weapons inspectors' files dating back to the 1990s, but the substance is not believed to pose any immediate danger, U.N. officials said Thursday.

The material was taken from al-Muthanna chemical weapons plant north of Baghdad. The samples are sealed and have been there since 1996, U.N. spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/un.gas/index.html

Tell them to watch the CNN newsfeed

U.N. staff turned up small samples of phosgene taken from a Iraqi chemical weapons plant during inspections.

Sealed samples and been there since 1996!

If the level of competence couldn't find (presumably) catalogued gas samples in the place where they're supposed to be, does this mean Iraq is going to have to be searched AGAIN?

I suppose they could use sniffer dogs, they shouldn't need quite as many spares this time around.

MrsRaven said:
Phosgene - bloody hell that's old hat - you can dig it up on the Somme still!
But cheap and relatively easy to make - hence the WMD of first choice for your up-and-coming murderous dictator.

Altogether now, "Hans Brix?! Ohhh, noh!"

Or perhaps a "homegrown" sample, just to try and win support for the whole Iraq affair?

I think this is proof that the survivalists were right all along: the UN is the seat of the New World Order, run by Jews/Communists/lizards...

I'm off to live in a den in the New Forest, or maybe Clissold Park.

Isn't exactly the major story it's made out to be, vials were found (how many?) the content of these probably being a couple of ml at the most for analytical work, I may have been more impressed if they had released the contents of these. Then there's the only identified substance, phosgene whoopdeedoop, this is a schedule 3 chemical (the lowest level on the CWC's system of classifying potentially dangerous chemicals:

Guidelines for Schedule 3

3. The following criteria shall be taken into account in considering whether a toxic chemical or precursor, not listed in other Schedules, should be included in Schedule 3:

(a) It has been produced, stockpiled or used as a chemical weapon;

(b) It poses otherwise a risk to the object and purpose of this Convention because it possesses such lethal or incapacitating toxicity as well as other properties that might enable it to be used as a chemical weapon;

(c) It poses a risk to the object and purpose of this Convention by virtue of its importance in the production of one or more chemicals listed in Schedule 1 or Schedule 2, part B;

(d) It may be produced in large commercial quantities for purposes not prohibited under this Convention.
The key being sub-section d, phosgene is produced in incredibly large quantities as it is an important chemical with many civilian uses, I get the feeling someone's trying to milk this for all it's worth.

Fuchs66 said:
Isn't exactly the major story it's made out to be, vials were found (how many?) the content of these probably being a couple of ml at the most for analytical work, I may have been more impressed if they had released the contents of these. Then there's the only identified substance, phosgene whoopdeedoop, this is a schedule 3 chemical (the lowest level on the CWC's system of classifying potentially dangerous chemicals:

Guidelines for Schedule 3

3. The following criteria shall be taken into account in considering whether a toxic chemical or precursor, not listed in other Schedules, should be included in Schedule 3:

(a) It has been produced, stockpiled or used as a chemical weapon;

(b) It poses otherwise a risk to the object and purpose of this Convention because it possesses such lethal or incapacitating toxicity as well as other properties that might enable it to be used as a chemical weapon;

(c) It poses a risk to the object and purpose of this Convention by virtue of its importance in the production of one or more chemicals listed in Schedule 1 or Schedule 2, part B;

(d) It may be produced in large commercial quantities for purposes not prohibited under this Convention.
The key being sub-section d, phosgene is produced in incredibly large quantities as it is an important chemical with many civilian uses, I get the feeling someone's trying to milk this for all it's worth.
So what your saying is somebody has mixed toilet duck with bleach in the mop bucket???

Because if you are Jack Bauer will not be pleased.

smartascarrots said:
But cheap and relatively easy to make - hence the WMD of first choice for your up-and-coming murderous dictator.

Altogether now, "Hans Brix?! Ohhh, noh!"
No bother to produce and most countries do this already for legitimate reasons, it is however, due to it's high reactivity and corrosive properties, fairly hard to weaponise.