Gas cooker

Discussion in 'DIY' started by putteesinmyhands, Aug 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not truly a DIY topic, I have no intention of fitting a gas cooker myself. I love my family...

Background

When I moved into my house 26 years ago, I was faced with a rusty cooker hood and a hurricane-like draught from airbrick ventilation. Also, there was a lack of cupboard space in the kitchen. My solution was to rip out the cooker hood and associated duct, fit home made wall units which covered the interior side of the extract hole and box in some plumbing which also served to cover the airbrick. I installed an electric cooker and fitted home made free-standing (bomb-proofly secured to walls) cupboards topped with worktops to every available space.

Not professionally done but very effective - 26 years later, the only problems are that the cupboard door hinges are due their fourth replacement and the sliders for some drawers have disintegrated and I really must get the iron-on edge trim ironed on. They stopped making it years ago but I've a good stock in the garage... But I digress. Sod it, while I'm digressing, I'll also mention that as a result of my efforts, I had plans for my handicrafts to be my "Protect and Survive" nuclear shelter - a couple of doors laid across the opposing work surfaces, a well-stocked tin cupboard, camping kit and sundry tools in the adjacent utility room, ready to hand. You get the gist.

Now situation

My electric cooker has gone on the blink. It's done well, about 15 years since the original one went kaput. The trouble is that it's 55cm width and there's not a great deal of choice in that width fitting. I'm considering replacing it with a gas cooker as there are more available in 55cm width. (60cm would involve restricting the airflow to the fridge and freezer and reducing the drawers from 300mm wide to about 250mm wide - a lot of work, especially as the work tops were chased into the walls - the block layers must have been more pissed than the plasterers.

It's easy enough to say "I'll have that one, install it for me" but that'll only work if I have a kitchen that meets the Gas Safe ventilation requirements (and I've had running arguments with British Gas for the last 10 years with regard to my boiler - which they fitted 20 years ago, then decided that the ventilation wasn't adequate so kept putting "unsafe" notices on, despite the room having 3x the Building Regulations ventilation requirement) - finally resolved by me enlarging the ventilation opening to 5x the Building Regs requirement, then restricting it back to 3x by fitting the poxy plastic louvres that they seem to think are a cure-all).

Question

So my question is "What ventilation is actually required for a gas cooker?" I've looked on the net and found conflicting information - varying from only needing an openable window (mine's a 4' x 2'6" tilt and turn) to various trickle ventilation and mechanical ventilation, complicated by room size and the power of the cooker.

I haven't made any definite decisions but the Zanussi ZCG-55QGW looks tasty. Adding the burners together, it looks like it can guzzle 12.5kW flat out ( http://www.electrolux-ui.com/2012/892/950527EN.pdf - page 20) though I don't have a preference for black, crispy cinders. My kitchen is about 3.5m x 3.5m x 2.5m - less cupboard infringement.

I wouldn't worry too much if I have to open up the airbrick again but I'd be a bit sad if I had to install a cooker hood - that would involve cutting though the sides of a wall unit and installing flat trunking that would mess up the cupboard space, not to mention bodging electrics.

2. You are just curious about fitting a gas cooker then ;-)

Stick with leccy

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. Yours is a septic cooker. At 76cm wide, I'd have to lose my freezer to fit it in.

Handy that you mentioned LG, though. It's another manufacturer that I can search for. I seem to be limited to New World, Beko, Belling and Zanussi and two of those, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. The demise of Comet limits the options seemingly available in the UK.

4. Gas is better - I've only owned electric and my parents only owned electric but both grannys had gas and I have fond memories. Besides, have you ever tried to use a wok on electric? You don't stir-fry, you stir-boil.

The limiting factor, though, is that there doesn't seem to be a decent 55cm wide electric cooker. There is a Zanussi but it's grossly overpriced for what you get - £600 compared to a £500 gas one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do shop online for your cooker though, we opened up a chimney breast to put a range in, I got it delivered for £820 online, £1300 plus £60 delivery from Comet. Cheeky bastards, they come direct from the manufacturer.

6. I'm having trouble uploading photos. Have look at http://www.godin.fr/la-cuisson/les-chatelaines/petite-chatelaine

Dual fuel. Being Frog, it cooks at a decent heat. We got a wok stand as well. It fits in small fitted kitchens--16 colours. We got ours discounted from Buyers and Sellers in Ladbroke Grove but some years ago. A firm called Lawton Imports actually delivered it. It's worth checking with them.

7. Thanks but eye-level doesn't do it. Sunray this location lacks altitude and I gather that eye-level requires 150mm clearance each side so that would wipe out half of my wall cupboards. Making them smaller would, in turn, involve redoing the entire kitchen (matching issues plus the ceiling was redone with the units in place).

8. ...prices start at £6400 for 115cm width, though the small 100cm width can be got for a mere £7700... :roll:

9. Sharp intake of breath. It *was* at the end of the 90s that we got it. 700mm. Fitted in a galley kitchen next to a side by side fridge also from Buyers and Sellers and opposite a 60s double full size sink with double drainers.

I'll wind my neck in.