Gas bills

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Danny_Dravot, Dec 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. has this been done before?

how much should an average monthly gas bill be?

Mine's just rocked up (first one after milking BFG for a while) and is £88 for a this normal?
  2. Probably about right - although there is no such thing as an "average" bill. How big is property, is gas for cooking as well as heating? is it a married quarter? if yes, what grade is it? My current married quarter, which is 3 bedrooms, has just been reclassified from Grade 2 to Grade 4! One of the contributory factors is the lack of double glazing and lack of loft insulation which means higher utility bills to keep it (and us) warm. My last quarterly bill (dual gas/electric) was knocking on £230!! (thats just the price I have to pay to keep Mrs Grumpy Git warm)
    Do you get electric and gas from same supplier? (discounts if you do), pay by direct debit for further discounts.

No doubt you got a nasty surprise when you tried to fill your nice new large tax free car with fuel, without using fuel coupons!

Welcome back from BFG into the land of high prices and high taxes.
  3. indeed....agree with all of above.

its sfa, average size, i've shopped around for gas...i think its the cheapest it's going to get

4. Have you tried the U Switch website?
  5. Bloody hell, I`d shit myself if my bill was that high. Last quarterly (3 month) bill was £47, I`ve got gas central heating and a gas cooker,and live in a 1950`s 2 bedroom flat without double glazing, and I`m at home most of the day with the missus. I budget about £1 a day for electric( tv and pc on most of the day) and slightly less for gas and am normally on target. I`d get your meter checked. 8O
  6. nearest and dearest sorted all utilities via uswitch, shes good like that.

Gas is £94 electric £54 thats 3bed SFA should be moving soon no idea what bills will equate to.
  7. was that for 1 month or 1/4?

we used 330 units for 1 month....seems an awful lot, 3 bed SFA.

(also just switched to cheapst option through u switch.)
  8. that's for 1 calendar month, meter has been checked over but was told all correct!!
  9. A bit more detail now...for the last 24hrs....

Thermostat turned down to 18C, Boiler set to lowest setting (setting 1 of 6), All but 3 radiators in house turned off, Heating & water only on for 6 hrs in 24 hr period, No gas fire....

Still used 7 units of gas in 24 hrs, this equates to approx 200 units per month, which is approx £75...and the house is fooking freeziing!!!!

I still think that this is WAY too high....i checked the boiler, last serviced 4 yrs ago.
    Are DHE/MHS under remit to service boilers annually? We have had a gas safety check done.
  10. I`ve just checked mine, used 37 units in 17 days, £18.19 credit used on the card, so about a pound and around 2.2 units a day. We have the boiler on auto so hot water is on demand, 2 radiators open, use central heating about 3 hours a day set to about 25. But we pre pay on a card so its supposed to be more expensive than DD. :?
  11. (3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (2) above, a landlord shall -

(a) ensure that each appliance and flue to which that duty extends is checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and at intervals of not more than 12 months since it was last checked for safety (whether such check was made pursuant to these Regulations or not);

and there's lots more at Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 2451
    The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Link -
  12. Thought this might be some use as a comparison , we get our electricity and gas from Union Power , yes I am a civilian but did 22 years .
    Hot water and central heating is from gas , all the rest is electricity. which is on 24 hours a day., never use the timer , keep the place warm all the time rather than letting it get cold and then having to reheat it.
    Don't try to economise on energy at all .
    Place is a 3 bedroomed detached bungalow , good insulation and 23 years old.
    Combined energy cost £95 per month thru the year on direct debit.
    Compared with work colleagues that seems fairly economical for the Midlands area.