Gary, Tank Commander.

Due to be shown dahn saff, on BBC 3 tonight, after Family Guy. 23.45hrs.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
cool I've been trying to download this but the links have dried up. due for series 2 by all accounts

What's the deal with Gary then? Is he gay? Metrosexual? Why were there no tanks in this episode?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I didnt think they had tanks in bastion? he reminded me of that fat katy comedy woman type thing.

I'll see how the series pans out, bbc3 so I dont expect the comedy genius of so haunt me more rentaghost :)

The wit - when it's there - isn't delivered in what has become the norm, there being no canned laughter; A tool that a lot of poor comedy uses to condition its audience. As for the jokes themselves, some of it is satire, some goes straight for obvious and a good few attempts at squaddie-humour. A lot of fails but a lot of hits too.

Succinctly, it's a marmite show.

I tried but couldn't get past about the 10 minute point, just didn't find it amusing at all. Oh well, horses for courses and all that.

The first series was pretty good, particulary liked a line from one episode where they cover fire strikes 'the men and larger ladies of the fire service need more time off to count their wonga...'

Second series was pump though, best avoided.

Quite a fan of this, having been introduced to it by a Scottish-type person. As mentioned above, you either love it or hate it though. At the moment, our office is split 50/50.

Episode with the American General is bloody genius.

I have to say I hold with the idea, of watching at least a couple of progs to allow time to establish characters and situations. It seems to have the essence of squaddie life, but I can't believe that a full-screw could be that daft. Lance jack, yes, some Sgts I've known, yes, how they got through Cpl and then lost focus I don't know.

Overall I liked the first one, I think its like The Office, it took a while of watching repeats before I got it.

Some of our English friends dont seem to like this programme but as the likes of "Last of the Summer Wine", "My Family" and "Birds of a Feather" are big hits in that neck of the woods I doubt the makers of "Gary" are bothered too much about poor reviews :)

I gave it 10 minutes and that was enough for me.

It was like a cross between It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Get Some In, but not as funny.

Gary taking the piss out of his sergeant who was stood right behind was exactly the same as Fletcher (in Porridge) taking the piss out of Mackay who was stood right behind him.

It's been done before and been done better.

Some of our English friends dont seem to like this programme but as the likes of "Last of the Summer Wine", "My Family" and "Birds of a Feather" are big hits in that neck of the woods I doubt the makers of "Gary" are bothered too much about poor reviews :)
I'm English and I liked it. It's fun, rather than funny, although there are some very good moments that I am very much looking forward to seeing over and over again as intros to PPT presentations on drossy subjects delivered by dull officer types who know only too well that humour is best left to others.