garmin gps

I have a Foretrex 301, absolutely brilliant, I'd recommend it without hesitation.

i use MAGELLAN gps 310 a few years old but keeps me on track,, and easy to use

etrex is good, I have an old cheap one with fcuk all memory but even with 250k I can upload a pretty big basemap.

Dont understand the fortrex, the site says you cant do anything with the base map

Maps & Memory:

• Basemap: no
  • Preloaded maps: no
  • Ability to add maps: no
  • Built-in memory: no
  • Accepts data cards: no

maybe i am missing something.

You don't need a base map. The Foretrex gives you a ten figure grid and the ability to add routes and waypoints. It is lightweight, fits on your wrist/ osprey and is compatible with some applications we use in theatre.

They are used by the majority of commanders on the ground. I have used mine in Kenya, many UK training areas, Arizona, Afghanistan, and recreationally in the dales and N York moors. It does everything you need and is simple enough to be squaddie proof.

Best thing about the Fortrex 301 is it can be got through they system.

Its a great bit of kit for vehicle and dismounted use.

It all comes down to portability vs price - they are very similar in terms of ability, but while the Foretrex (£115) is smaller, wrist mounted and lightweight, the Etrex (£85) is handheld and a bit larger. If you want to upload waypoints and routes to the Etrex via USB you will need a data transfer cable which is sold seperately, I don't know whether a lead is included with the Foretrex though.

I bought the Etrex H for £46 on Amazon a few months back, and don't have a bad word to say about it.

It all comes down to portability vs price - they are very similar in terms of ability, but while the Foretrex (£115) is smaller, wrist mounted and lightweight, the Etrex (£85) is handheld and a bit larger. If you want to upload waypoints and routes to the Etrex via USB you will need a data transfer cable which is sold seperately, I don't know whether a lead is included with the Foretrex though.

I bought the Etrex H for £46 on Amazon a few months back, and don't have a bad word to say about it.
Cables in the box.

Its only a bog standard USB cable, not sure which plug type.

Type is Mini B and Type A apparently :)

Mines a bit further uo the scale - A Garmin Oregon 450. Comes preloaded with the whoel UK at 1:50k. I've then added maps for other bits of the world I visit. Expensive - but a STUNNING bit of kit. ...that said, my previous one was an ETrex another great bit of kit. Just check what features you want - basic grid refs and waypoint or a basemap, compass etc then aim off against your budget - my Oregon was a combined Christmas & Birthday present ! . DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY A MEMORY MAP GPS 3500 . UTTER UTTER JUNK, bug ridden, badly tested and generally just not fit for purpose.....and shite customer service when it goes wrong.