GARMIN GPS ETREX H

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chemystery, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody know how to configure routes or add waypoints on one of these babies?

I see that you can mark points when your out on the ground but surely that kind of defeats the object.

Any help appreciated.

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum. MODs feel free to move if this is the case.

2. You can add grid refs to it, can't for the life of me remember how to do it though. Sorry.

3. Agreed. I do have the manual in front of me and I've just spotted that on the Mark Waypoint option you can either mark current location or enter a location.

Job jobbed!

4. it's a little fidderly..... but can be done

5. Would you mind posting a step by step so as I can copy it, print it and keep it with mine?

I've been shown how to do it but keep bloody forgetting!

6. Possible WAH :?

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Stop mucking about with that junk and spend the extra sponds to get yourself the Garmin 60CSx.

It allows you now to load up full Ordnance Survey maps WITH spot heights, contours, rivers, lakes, roads and more. It works in both Mils and Degrees, metric or imperial distances, all the international grid systems, and even allows you to scroll to the bit you want to mark as a waypoint on a colour map and do so.

It's got barometric readings, gives you your height above ground, sunset/sunrise times and a complete plot or track of your travels.

Most importantly, you can stuff a bl00dy great big SD memory card in it to load the ENTIRE UK in glorious detail.

The E-Trex is OK, don't get me wrong, but the 60CSx is in a different league, and you'll appreciate the finer points when you are using it in the field and Mr Orrifice has got you lost again.

edited to add: Oh, and if you're a flying THEM, it'll give you various extra features for when you throw yourselves out of perfectly good planes - like glide angle and suchlike. It's called 'Jumpmaster' and gives you calculations and features for HAHO, HALO and Static jumps. Wind and drift calculations and functions . . . . and more.

If you're a swimming THEM, it works with boats too - with things like anchor drag alarm features, plug in extras for water depth - for alarms and suchlike, temperature and of course, optimum fishing and hunting times in case you have to feed yourself.

Did I mention the stopwatch, calculator, area calculator and other bits?

8. No wah mate. Seriously forgot how to do it and it doesn't give you a step by step in the manual.

Edited to add

How much biped?

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Under £160 in some places - but be aware - you have to buy your maps.

£320 if you have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx + Mapsource Topo GB (Official Ordnance Survey) + 2GB MicroSD MiniSD/SD (You could fit an 8gb card in there - I did).

10. sorry... as I said its bleeding tricky with etrex

11. All well and good, but how long do the batteries last?

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

About 8 hours of continuous use, with the backlit screen going at bright levels - for optimum life, without backlit screen or WAAS, nearer 20 hours continuous. Standard AA batteries for use - so cheap and easy to run. You can stick Nimh's in there too.

I use mine all over the place - running (for distance and average speed), hiking (for distance, speed, ascent and descent totals, navigation, distance covered), cycling (navigation, average speed, top speed, distance covered - you can get handlebar clips) driving (as before, but all over the country and Europe - it's got a dashboard platform as well as vent-clips).

I've driven all over the UK, the US and the EU with it - no problems whatsoever.

I don't sail, and I don't sky-dive, but if I did . . . .

You can also get the Silva pocket solar panel to keep it running, or run it from your 12v car supply OR your USB connection from a laptop or desktop.

You can also plug in the extended signal receiver if the unit is out of view of the satellites - for example, inside an APC.

It's got an external data connector as well as USB port, firstly for connecting a series of data devices such as temperature gauges, depth gauges and other electronic tools, and the USB port for a direct (live - laptop, or data-to-pc) link to your computer.

The list of accessories (Garmin's alone, not 3rd party data products) is large: Garmin Accessories

And here's a good review (I'm sure I've done this before, but NVM): Excellent and in-depth review

and another one: Another 60CSx review

Full Instructions

13. Biped, do you work for Garmin?

14. Take a look at www.satmap.com.A waterproof device with mapping,that moves in the direction you point it.Designed for the outdoors person(you?)