Garmin Foretrex 101

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BBear, Aug 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Gents, after a bit of gen here please.

I'm new to the gps market, and am after a simple, easy to use gps that will give accurate grids quickly. I've been looking around for a little while and found this one, has anybody used it? Any good or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers!!

BBear

2. What is it to be used for?

3. I have one of these, and whilst not too bad, there are a lot better out there for more money (obviously).

I mainly use mine for accurate training distances cross country. Although you can download the info onto a PC I haven't yet as too tight to buy the cable (I also have a Garmin III which i use for this).

Much of a muchness with satelitte aquisition, but once up and running I have never had a problem with losing satellites, even in really sh1tty weather. The handiest bit is the fact that you can wear it on the wrist although if biking it can be a tad annoying.

Over all quite a good bit of kit for the price (even better as mine was free via man at Q&M).

If you are after a cheap no frill gps then this is for you.

If you want graphics and map features then you will have to spend quite a bit more.

4. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Everything from infanteering, to fell running, to orienteering, to hill walking, to whatever. I just want a simple gps that will give me accurate, quick grids. Nothing overally fancy

5. I have one that i got for about £25, its a great piece of kit. I really just use it for getting grids quickly.

Its also reasonably rugged

6. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Where on Earth did you get one for that price?!

7. Garmin factory refurbished model :)

8. If you're buying a Garmin, spend money, because IME you get what you pay for. I've got the £99.99 bottom-of-the-range model, and the grids are consistently inaccurate by up to 800m, battery life is hopeless and getting a signal can take ages unless you stand perfectly still and there's no clouds. Getting a GPS has done my map and compass skills a world of good.

9. I have Garmin e-trex. Aquired it through present civviy job and have not been asked to return it........... Easy to use and simple to understand. can purchase PC lead to download software updates or pre programmed routes etc.

10. I bought a Garmin Etrex ten years ago in Sarajevo, it was top of the range back then and cost about USD$90 and I'm still using it as I think it's the dogs buffers.

The Foretrex appears to have the same basic spec (basic functions, no mapping) and I think I'm right in saying you'd be better off with the AA battery version for obvious reasons.

11. If you're buying a Garmin, spend money, because IME you get what you pay for. I've got the £99.99 bottom-of-the-range model, and the grids are consistently inaccurate by up to 800m, battery life is hopeless and getting a signal can take ages unless you stand perfectly still and there's no clouds. Getting a GPS has done my map and compass skills a world of good.

I have a Garmin etrex and its pretty accurate, even compared to our DGPS systems, so if you are 800m out, it has a serious problem, possibly something to do with timing,not aquiring sats properly, high mask angle etc. If not take i would take it back to the shop and do back to back comparisons with another unit, or get a position at the shop on google earth and compare with the salesman there.

One other thing, are your maps in WGS84?

edited for terrible spelling

12. If you are getting grids that far out i'd suggest that you have it set to the wrong map datum. By default they come set to WGS84, to use an OS map you need to set it to OSGB i think it is.

13. I have one of these and love it. It's all you need in a GPS as you should still use maps. It's been the only GPS to get a signal in the jungle and is easy to use and understand.