garmin foretrex 101 vs forerunner 101

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jack04040, Aug 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spoke to a garmin guy at a show recently.

Forerunner: lighter but doesnt give grids:

Foretrex 201: rechargable - so not so good without access to power.

I reckon foretrex 101 is best for military use (and is it is a top sller over on rvops I'd guess others agree)

think it is cheaper on amazon though by a long way
  2. I have got the Foretrex 101 and have been happy with it so far (had it less than a month). I to got it as a back up when map reading but also use it for measuring runs etc.

As it runs on AAA batteries there is no need to find a power source to recharge it. You can set it up to give OS grid references if required - it'll give you a 10 fig grid reference. There are obviously limitations to its usage when under tree cover but that is only a minor drawback. I have worn it on my wrist when running and not noticed it.

It unit seems fairly robust and is waterproof - although it does say that if it get really wet then you should thoroughly dry it out by removing batteries. I have used it in heavy rain and not had a problem.

So all in all i am happy with it - nice and compact and does what i need it to.