Garmin Forerunner or similar

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by PoisonDwarf, Nov 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any experience of those heart rate monitor / GPS / running computer thingies?

I like the idea of one of the Garmin Forerunner models, but they're slightly pricey (got to sneak as small an amount by the other half as possible! :( )

Any decent inexpensive sources, or potential alternatives?

2. Heya mate I've got the Garmin Forerunner 405 with the heart rate monitor strap, pretty expensive at £200 but imo well worth it. Basically the more information you want the higher the price tag, if all you want is to know how much distance you have covered and in what time then go for the Forerunner 50 for £50.

Any questions ill be happy to help.

Best cheap alternative I've heard is the Nike Plus which retails for around £25.

3. Dont you need a new pair of nike+ compatible trainers to go with it though? Since the pedometer bit goes in your shoe (thats how it works with the ipod/pedometer anyway , I dont have the sportsband) .

4. I don't think you NEED the Nike trainers, you can just attach it to any old pair somehow...

5. I have a foreunner 305 which is chunky in comparison to the 405. Information you can pull from it is good.

One question to BornSlippy, do you know if it is possible to add Waypoints, in grid ref format, for a route. Basically I want to take it on my Tabs and use it to NavCheck my own map reading and navigation.

If not I need to buy a GPS handheld.

6. I don't see why not, yes you can add waypoints though I've not tried it but if you use www.motionbased.com and match your waypoints on there to grid ref's on google earth or a map then it should work...

7. Got a forerunner 201 earlier this year,no heart rate monitor but excellent bit of kit for a runner.Less than 80 notes,does all I need and is not complicated.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GPS-Online-Shop

8. Sounds pretty good. Cheers guys.

I'm due to go on a trip later this month to Germany. I wonder if I can get a bit of PX action.

9. Decent piece of kit.
    Useful Virtual Training Partner facility to set yourself time over distance targets.

I paid £38 for a Forerunner 201 off Ebay.

10. ive got garmin 305 wouldnt be without it now well worth it.

11. What is the touch sensitive bezel like and how easy is it to operate? I was thinking of getting the 405 but all the reviews I've read imply that when you get the slightest bit of sweat or rain on it then it becomes inoperable.

12. Apparently the 405 bezel is difficult to operate with wet/gloved hands.

I picked up a Garmin 305 Forerunner from PC World for £80 quid - they're old stock now so may soon be appearing on Ebay at reasonable discount

13. With gloves I can imagine it would be pretty tricky to operate to be honest, not tried it though. I haven't had any problems using it when its raining though, I think it just takes a while to get the knack of it.

14. I got a used one from fleabay for £85.

Very useful bit of kit, the only problem is I can't get the data off which is a pain in the neck.

Not to hijack the thread, but would you happen to have a solution to this baring scratching the contacts until they are clean (which I don't want to do).